Mollyj

Nov 14, 2014
Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Over the last two months, I've been swimming almost daily care free and happy - apart from early problems with getting the pool level - and trying to convince my other half that we can use bleach in the pool to keep it clean and fresh.

This last week we had a big bush fire here in Adelaide, so I couldn't swim due to the smoke and ash - I covered the pool using my (rapidly deteriorating) blue cheap pool cover. During this time, I did the normal pool pumping but completely forgot to add chemicals for a couple of days - (I got out of my normal routine of swimming, adding chemicals and covering up) Anyhow, then it started raining and thundering, so again, no swimming. During a quiet spell, I uncovered it and got in only to be greeted by tiny little green things with white stems as I was using the net thingy to get bugs/stuff out.

Is this mustard algae? I have used the pool shop granules to shock the pool and also added buffer, got the pump running, invested in a (way too big - don't ask) silver and black heavy duty tarp and am now waiting for my test kit to arrive from the US.

I did buy two bottles of store brand bleach today which shows the following: Sodium Hypochlorite 35g/l, Available Chlorine 3.3% W?V. Sodium Hydroxide 4g/L - is this okay to use? Should I wait for my test kit to arrive before adding anything else?

Sorry for the long post - it's too wet (funny huh?) and a bit cooler to swim until later in the week - having to do boring housework until then.

Mustard algae is usually yellowish in color from what I've seen.
Since your test kit has not arrived yet and your pool only being 2600 gallons, would a drain, clean it good with a water, bleach solution and start over be an option for you ? If it is that would probably be the easiest way to solve the problem. Then when your test comes we can help you get started back up on the right foot.

Doesn't sound like algae at all, really. Algae will cling to walls and accumulate on the floor of the pool first. If you are netting out little, tiny plants then they probably are little, tiny plants from sprouting seeds spread by birds, wind, and the bush fire. I tend to find similar stuff in the spring.

Your bleach is only 3% so be sure you are using that strength in PoolMath to make sure you are using enough.

Thanks for your replies, I have to admit, it did look more like seeds sprouting than algae and we have had pretty high winds and lots of blossom for the trees and other stuff blowing around, so maybe that's what it is. The water was very murky though and I'm also having trouble using the vacuum that came with the pool.

I have to admit to looking for a topic called "Pool Math" for dummies yesterday - then this morning read it again and found the explanation on both that an the recommended levels so now I'm understanding it all a bit more- I'm sure it will make perfect sense when the test kit arrives. Funny really, this pool is a "test" to see how much I sue it before we invest in a bigger partial inground one.

Thanks again - happy swimming :paddle:

Thanks for your replies, I have to admit, it did look more like seeds sprouting than algae and we have had pretty high winds and lots of blossom for the trees and other stuff blowing around, so maybe that's what it is. The water was very murky though and I'm also having trouble using the vacuum that came with the pool.

I have to admit to looking for a topic called "Pool Math" for dummies yesterday - then this morning read it again and found the explanation on both that an the recommended levels so now I'm understanding it all a bit more- I'm sure it will make perfect sense when the test kit arrives. Funny really, this pool is a "test" to see how much I sue it before we invest in a bigger partial inground one.

Thanks again - happy swimming :paddle:
Hopefully, this is the article you read: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/114-poolmath-pool-calculator It explains how to use http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html effectively. Note that there is an option to switch to metric units as well.

That is exactly the article/topic I've bookmarked Richard, thank you :) I'm still waiting on the test kit and it has been too dull and wet to swim for nearly a week. The weather this year isn't our normal dry hot long summers, it's been all over the place. The cover is still on and I'm adding Granular Pool Chlorine when needed (still using the old test strips) There were a few more floaty things in the pool but I'm convinced it wasn't algae but seeds sprouting, I remembered over the weekend that last time I went in the pool I wore and old vest top after I'd been gardening - too lazy to change, so I probably contaminated the water. Big lesson learned there. I'll wait until I can get back in which hopefully will be tomorrow and give the whole thing a good vacuum, re do the bottom patch and swim.

I'm still waiting for the pool test kit to arrive - last showed it was in Melbourne. Anyhow, in my attempt to sort the pool out without it, I've added too much chlorine. Now, I've taken the cover off, added more water as we backwashed the filter yesterday. Should I do anything else? The test strips showed the brightest of bright purple - although I don't think it is quite accurate as we had a lot of humid weather here this last week and I think they got contaminated.

The filter backwash produced heaps of murky white water if that means anything? I also brushed the sides with a pool broom and although yesterday I could see the bottom, today I can't. I usually keep a thick heavy tarp on the pool when not using it so maybe that's the problem - not enough sunlight.

I have to admit to feeling a little defeated with this pool at the moment - I haven't been in it for over a week and now it's so cloudy, I'm wondering if it will ever clear up. It doesn't help when someone nearby keeps saying you've added too much of tthis or that, or you shouldn't use bleach you should use the stuff we got from the pool place grrrrrrrr. So annoying especially when they don't read anything on here or even swim.

ETA - it was a false alarm on the too much chlorine - must have been a faulty test strip as I tested it with the strips again - twice to be sure and both times it's registering normal to low chlorine - so I had a swim :) Still can't see the bottom very well as it's cloudy, but I'm not too bothered about that as once the test kit arrives, I should be able to get the levels right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.