What is the best way to heat 32,000 gal gunite pool?

jpower

Sep 22, 2007
New Jersey USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We are getting ready to move into a home that has a pool that is not heated. Would love to hear opinions on what's the best and most cost efficient way to heat the pool. Electric, solar, gas, off the a/c? We live in New Jersey and will need to heat the pool mostly in May (when we open) and in September.

If you have somewhere to put solar panels, they are by far the least expensive option. Gas heat is good for "event" heating, i.e. heating for that one perfect early spring weekend. Heat pumps are best if you want to keep the pool heated for weeks at a time.

One thing to keep in mind, other than solar, heating the pool tends to be wildly expensive.

Jason's given you good advice on the heating options.

As an example of how expensive it is to heat a pool that size, the teenage kids of someone I used to work with had a pool party. After the party, they left the gas heater (as well as the pump) on for several days (forget the exact # of days but it was less than a week). Their gas bill went up a few hundred $ from what it normally should be for that time of year. Mom was not too happy.

I only use my heater to heat the pool in the spring when Mother Nature is working with me but, even then, I run it for only 2-4 hours at a time. I avoid using it in the fall since it is a losing battle. OTOH, I'll use it to heat the spa whenever we feel like using it but we are only talking about 800 gallons there.

Whatever heating option you decide on I would invest in a solar cover. The cover will help a lot in retaining heat that you would lose over night due to evaporation. A solar cover will help somewhat in heating the water but their best at retaining heat. Due a search on the forum for solar covers. Lots of threads on the subject.
Here's a good place to purchase Solar Covers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.