Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is the best way to heat 32,000 gal gunite pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is the best way to heat 32,000 gal gunite pool?

We are getting ready to move into a home that has a pool that is not heated. Would love to hear opinions on what's the best and most cost efficient way to heat the pool. Electric, solar, gas, off the a/c? We live in New Jersey and will need to heat the pool mostly in May (when we open) and in September.
    Scott From Florida

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: What is the best way to heat 32,000 gal gunite pool?

If you have somewhere to put solar panels, they are by far the least expensive option. Gas heat is good for "event" heating, i.e. heating for that one perfect early spring weekend. Heat pumps are best if you want to keep the pool heated for weeks at a time.

One thing to keep in mind, other than solar, heating the pool tends to be wildly expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    DFW, Texas

Jason's given you good advice on the heating options.

As an example of how expensive it is to heat a pool that size, the teenage kids of someone I used to work with had a pool party. After the party, they left the gas heater (as well as the pump) on for several days (forget the exact # of days but it was less than a week). Their gas bill went up a few hundred $ from what it normally should be for that time of year. Mom was not too happy.

I only use my heater to heat the pool in the spring when Mother Nature is working with me but, even then, I run it for only 2-4 hours at a time. I avoid using it in the fall since it is a losing battle. OTOH, I'll use it to heat the spa whenever we feel like using it but we are only talking about 800 gallons there.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Silicon Valley, CA

Start with a solar cover. See how well it does in the spring. If is does well, problem solved for under 200 dollars. If it doesn't perform as expected, then consider the solar or gas heater.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Elverson Pa.

What is the best way to heat 32,000 gal gunite pool?

Whatever heating option you decide on I would invest in a solar cover. The cover will help a lot in retaining heat that you would lose over night due to evaporation. A solar cover will help somewhat in heating the water but their best at retaining heat. Due a search on the forum for solar covers. Lots of threads on the subject.
    Here's a good place to purchase Solar Covers
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Friendswood, TX

For the occasional winter /spring swim, NG has my vote. Here's a good reference post I made awhile back
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater