New Pool Plaster Problems

Hewie

Dec 26, 2014
El Dorado Hills, CA
Well, our pool was plastered Dec 10th. We used the pool care company the PB recommended. We brushed like crazy, but could see our plaster was scaling and blotching from early on. We first used the hot tub on Christmas Day, and scaling got much worse. Pool care company has recommended a no drain, which they will perform at no cost. I'll keep you up to date on the progress, as I'm keeping a very tight leash on them now. For info sake, here is what they state is their standard startup:

JR will arrive to turn on the pumps and begin to add chemistry to the pool. The chemicals are as follows, Sequestration Agent, Bi-Carb, Conditioner , Acid ,Chlorine , and Calcium they are introduced to the pool at different stages of the start up procedure.Initially the pool will be running for 24 hours a day during this time it is imperative that you brush the swimming pool thoroughly 3 to 4 times daily and brush all dust to the main drains. This process may take up to 10+ days to complete, please do not let anyone get into the pool even on the steps as the plaster is curing and any feet prints will stay permanently on the finish. JR will be returning to make numerous calls on the pool to test and adjust the chemistry as needed, upon completion he will install
the swimming pool sweep provided by [PB] for you as well as setting up the filtration time.​

The pool doesn't look nearly as bad as the hot tub, but here is a pic of the tub (and an overview for fun). View attachment 34064 View attachment 34065

Dave

Scaling is a result of not maintaining the chemistry correctly, most commonly allowing the PH to get too high.

With fresh plaster the PH, TA, and CH levels will all go up fairly quickly for the first month or so, and then more slowly for up to a year. Cold water can slow the process down somewhat.

Unless told otherwise by the pool company, it is important to keep your PH below 8.2 at all times, which can often mean daily acid additions.

pH seems to be the routine culprit, but I don't think it is that simple in my case. Even though I'm relying on the care company, I've been cross checking the water with the cheapy Orec kit provided by the PB and Leslies testing. pH has never tested above 8.0. Last week the Leslie results were:
CH 180
CYA 70
TA 100
pH 7.8

I'm ordering a TF100 kit right away, because I'm taking over this pool as soon as it is stable.
Dave

They should be able to resolve it...ask them if they have an underwater acid applicator. You may also want to drop your pH lower to see if it will loosen it up a bit. I just got a new pool and they suggested I keep it around 7.2 if possible. Since I'm new maybe an expert can advise if that's a good idea...but my PB has been in business for over 30 years and they are pretty trustworthy.

pH seems to be the routine culprit, but I don't think it is that simple in my case. Even though I'm relying on the care company, I've been cross checking the water with the cheapy Orec kit provided by the PB and Leslies testing. pH has never tested above 8.0. Last week the Leslie results were:
CH 180
CYA 70
TA 100
pH 7.8

I'm ordering a TF100 kit right away, because I'm taking over this pool as soon as it is stable.
Dave

Good move on the Kit Dave, and welcome to the forum.

You will fight the pH at first with a new finish, but it will settle down in time, but be patient as it will take a while. Just be diligent in checking and adjusting properly. Come back if you have questions and we'll be here to help.

Hewie how long did you wait until you used the spa?

- - - Updated - - -

Also sounds like someone did a bicarb start up and possibly let the bicarb sit and cause some staining i have seen this on a few pools in your area perhaps same company i'd do a light no drain acid wash and see if that helps .... is it tahoe blue or gray ?

Hewie how long did you wait until you used the spa?

- - - Updated - - -

Also sounds like someone did a bicarb start up and possibly let the bicarb sit and cause some staining i have seen this on a few pools in your area perhaps same company i'd do a light no drain acid wash and see if that helps .... is it tahoe blue or gray ?

Thanks SPP. It is tahoe blue. We waited 15 days. No drain starts today. I'll let you know how it goes.
Dave

I'm not a fan of acid start ups, but it's your pool. Since you are up and running can you block your heater out of the loop? I wouldn't want that running through my heat exchanger if it were mine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.