Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much concrete do you have?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much concrete do you have?

Hi All,

New to this forum and about to partake on my second pool build.

I have a question on the amount of concrete/patio space you all have used for your pools.

I'm thinking a 3-4 foot apron on 3 sides and then bringing the patio back about 15' to have space for table/chairs/grill etc..

So I guess my question is how many sf of deck do you have? 400,500,1000sf?

Any pictures illustrating the approximate square footage of your decks would be extremely helpful.

Thank you in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much concrete do you have?

I have 3ft on the back side of the pool, about 6ft on the end with the diving board, and 12ft on the side where we sit. If I were doing it again I'd go 4ft on the back side. 3ft is much narrower than it sounds.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I have about 1,360 sqft.

960 open
    400 covered
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

4. Back To Top    #4

We have 4 ft on the back side, 5 ft one end, 12 ft other end, 15 ft on the patio side near the house. The pool is 18 x 36.

Attachment 34063
    Attachment 34062
    22k gal, 18 x 36 IG vinyl, Pentair 320 cartridge filter, 3/4 HP 2 spd WhisperFlo pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, Dolphin Nautilus Plus

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool size in my sig.
    the apron around the pool is 4 ft. 3 is much narrow that it seems. 4 seems to be just right.

The big part is 26 x 16 (not the best pic, but the only one I have access to at the moment)

Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I do agree that 4' seems to feel about right if you can do that as the skinniest measurement. We have that on the far side. Our others are about 10' & 15' on the ends and 13' on the side. This is pretty big (1,650 S.F.) but our yard is wide open and the pool is a destination pool so there is no adjacent space to use. The house deck and patio areas are separate. At least 12' gives you plenty of play/walking/socializing space between chaise lounges laid down flat and the pool even with people sitting with legs a dangling in the pool.
    Last edited by bmoreswim; 01-11-2015 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Added S.F. of decking
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

We have around 560 sq ft. on a 32X17 pool. Everyone we asked for suggestions all said get as much deck as you can afford. I was very specific about wanting several areas/groupings for entertaining.
    17K freeform, IG, Primera Stone Sky Blue Treasure, Pentair DE, Intelliflo VS+SVRS, NOV 2014, K-2006, Pentair Racer, no gas in our area so pool only, no heater, will be looking at adding solar next season

8. Back To Top    #8

We have right around 2000 sf of deck. 600 sf is covered.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

9. Back To Top    #9

We have just shy of 1000 square feet. 4 feet on the long edges and around 16 feet by 20 feet on the sides.

10. Back To Top    #10