Pool Company screwed up..need advice...

Sep 26, 2014
Rockwall, Texas
Our new pool is just about complete. They are looking for a leak in the spa. Service guy left the other day, and forgot to turn the equipment back on. It just so happened to get down to 15 degrees that night, so everything froze.

They came out the next day, supposedly got the pump to run. When I got home, they had drained all the equpiment, and removed the plugs hoping it will thaw out the heater.

For the next few days it will get just above freezing during the day, and drop back each night, so it will thaw and refreeze every night, until sunday or monday.

They tell me I have a 3 year warranty on all the equipment and they will replace the heater if it wont work.

My concerns: What if it has weakened a seal, or a joint in the metal, or damaged the impeller, but not fatally?

What should I look for when the equipment comes back on line?

Any advice for how to handle this?

To me this feels a little like someone breaking into your house, you cannot feel secure.

When everything is running again, look closely for leaks. If there aren't any leaks you are fine.

The only complexity is if there is an underground leak which you don't notice right away. Freeze damage leaks are usually very obvious, but there is a small chance that an underground leak could be slow enough to not be noticed right away.

All the pumps were frozen, the heater and the filter. The heater is the only thing he could not do anything about, but said he got the pump running and did not see any leaks.

So I am concerned that the heater or pump might be damaged internally, or stressed that will fatigue and break later.

Since then it has only gotten above freezing for a few hours in the afternoon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.