LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Used the TFP method this summer for my first time on my first pool!!! LOVED it, went great and had perfectly balanced water from start to finish!! I was a proud pool Mommy!

I noticed in early fall the texture of my hair was very brittle, up way higher then just the ends. I washed and moisturized all summer, no issues. I noticed it shortly after summer. I wondered if I damaged it with the blow dryer or something. Hair stylist asked if I swam a lot this summer cause it was really bad and that it extended past the tips. Even though it's MY first pool and I swam a little more, I still swam a lot in summer before, lots of local family and friends have pools. So, it made me wonder if it was cause I used the bleach??? Anyone else notice this or face this issue. I'm hoping not, cause I'm sold on the TFP method. My water was sparkling all summer long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TFP methods should be in practice, gentler on hair than tablets as the water is routinely checked and pH balanced and there are no metals to stain hair. The water is also not over chlorinated as a result, so it should be gentler on hair and skin than the "shock and pray" methods.

It has nothing to do with using bleach, as opposed to other forms of chlorine. Once the chlorine is in the water all forms of chlorine become the exact same chemical.

Swimming with higher than recommended FC levels can cause hair damage. This is especially true when CYA levels are very very low.

My wife swims every day and uses Ultra Swim® Chlorine Removal Shampoo, Moisturizing Formula (it actually contains some sodium thiosulfate in the ingredients) after every swim. She uses a second shampoo "Aquia Swimmers' Shampoo and Conditioner by Barracuda" on most days but not necessarily every day (it has conditioner so you use it when you would want to condition your hair and not just shampoo it). She also uses Paul Mitchell® clarifying Shampoo Three® though only once a week since it is much harsher though good at doing a thorough cleaning of the hair. If you swim a lot in any chlorinated pool, then it's a good idea to use these kinds of shampoos. Though the active chlorine level in TFP pools is far lower than most commercial/public pools (especially indoor pools or others that use no CYA), swimming every day or two accumulates a lot of chlorine oxidative damage unless you use products to minimize such damage.

Note also that just swimming in water frequently even without chlorine will result in some stripping of oils from the hair (and skin), especially if we then use any soap. The oils protect the hair and it's only our society that has an aversion to greasy feeling and "natural" oily smell that has us basically strip protective chemicals from hair and then add back other chemicals in an attempt to undo the damage we have done.

Thanks for all the feedback. I figured out the damage and it wasn't the pool. Ha! Thank goodness, that would have made me sad because I love the TFP. I got a new high quality blow dryer and it was throwing heat like crazy and with the metal brush I use (wahhhh wah wah wah wah Charlie Brown voice to most here HA!) it was like frying my hair. That was an easy fix.

Chem Geek, thanks for all the input on shampoos and conditioners, def gonna check them out.

CAN'T WAIT FOR POOL SEASON!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.