Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ODK Kegerator in Texas heat?

1. Back To Top    #1

ODK Kegerator in Texas heat?

I'm gearing up to start some framing and I'm curious about having a fridge or a kegerator, or both... One question I have about the fridge, are they actually useful being so small? Second, does anyone in Texas have a kegerator outside? How does it hold up with the summer heat? Thanks!
    25K gal FF; QuartzScapes Barbados Blue; ColorLogic LEDs, ProLogic PS-8, AquaPod, AquaConnect, (3) WhisperFlo 2.5HP pumps, 1HP blower, 3/4HP cleaner pump; Pentair CC 520 cartridge filter; MasterTemp 400 propane, Rainbow 320; UltraPure UV/Ozone; Polaris 280; 7' raised spa by rock waterside; (soon) 62" fire pit, (soon) ODK; 60x40 screen enclosure
    Build - here.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ODK Kegerator in Texas heat?

I'm not in Texas, but I do have a keezer(a freezer converted with three taps). I keep it in the garage set at 41 degrees in the KY summer heat, and it can keep up. Freezers are fairly well insulated, so it doesn't use a ton of electricity.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a fridge adjacent to my ODK. I didn't put it inside because I didn't want the trapped heat on the kitchen interior. The fridge is under cover, receives no rain, no sun, and it only last about 2-3 years.

I don't know if the kegerator would last a long time, if it doesn't and you install it as built in you will always have to buy that one as they are probably not a standard size.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

4. Back To Top    #4

I have both in Tennessee and it gets plenty hot here. My fridge is just an indoor under counter that I got off craigslist cheap. It works great for keeping sodas/waters/beers and grilling stuff cool while entertaining. I use it a bunch. I also have a kegerator with a triple tap that stays out year round. I will say, when its really hot the first pull can get a bit foamy but I love having it out there. I homebrew, and try to keep an assortment on tap. I have thought about rigging up a fan to blow cold air up into the tower or get one of those things that wraps around the tower to keep it cool but it really isn't that big of deal. The beer stays plenty cold, you just have to deal with a little foam in the heat of the summer.

Riles
    16x32 IG vinyl, 19,000 gal, 1.0 hp pump, sand filter, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, diving board, slide

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Riles_J View Post
    I have both in Tennessee and it gets plenty hot here. My fridge is just an indoor under counter that I got off craigslist cheap. It works great for keeping sodas/waters/beers and grilling stuff cool while entertaining. I use it a bunch. I also have a kegerator with a triple tap that stays out year round. I will say, when its really hot the first pull can get a bit foamy but I love having it out there. I homebrew, and try to keep an assortment on tap. I have thought about rigging up a fan to blow cold air up into the tower or get one of those things that wraps around the tower to keep it cool but it really isn't that big of deal. The beer stays plenty cold, you just have to deal with a little foam in the heat of the summer.

Riles
    If there's enough room in the tower you can run a line up and back down and use a little pond pump to circulate water or rv antifreeze from a bucket in the kegerator to keep the tower cool.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100