Where do you test your water?

Jan 2, 2015
Punta Gorda, Fl
This is the type of question most people might not think about, but I'm asking because my wife asked me. Where do you do you water testing? Since you need to rinse out the vials before and after each test, you need somewhere to pour that water. Do you do it at the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, utility sink, or somewhere else? Do you just pour the water down the drain, or is there a potential environmental concern?

thanks,
crashd0g

My vials get rinsed in pool water. After each test I empty the vial on the ground (not in the pool) then rinse the vial in pool water. So all my testing is done poolside.

I do my testing at the patio table. I use a plastic cup to get my sample, and I have enough vials and stirbars that I don't need to do any dishes until all the tests are done. There are two vials with the TF100, so FC and TA are easy. The CH vial is the one that came with the speedstire. The mixing bottle for the CYA test will take a stirbar and fits on the speedstir, too.

The old solution gets dumped on a patch of gravel where I hope it kills weeds. Then I rinse with the leftover sample water in the cup.

In the kitchen works well for me. I get a pool water sample with a Styrofoam cup from the pool and take it inside.

I rinse if required at the kitchen sink and collect all the "used" solutions into a single plastic bowl. That bowl then gets tossed in the yard and rinsed in the sink.

Pool side daily, if the weather allows. The weekly/periodic testing where I do TA, FAS-DPD FC/CC or other necessary testing I do inside at our breakfast nook near the kitchen sink. Outdoor testing, the solutions get dumped in the rocks by the pool, hopefully killing weeds like Richard and rinsed with pool water. Inside, vials get dumped in the sink and rinsed with tap water.

I may be a fool, but I test and dump into my septic. I built a bathroom in the garage close to the pool for easy access so swimmers don't have to go inside in the air-conditioning to pee. I test in the garage bathroom sink and dump down the drain.... Bad me???!!! It IS handy.

I have a cabinet in the garage over my utility sink. Get sample of pool water in sample bottle, go to garage rinse testing viles with sample water, then test. Dump down the drain rinse testing equipment with tap water and store upside down on paper towels inside cabinet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do all my testing at the bathroom sink and pour it down the drain when completed. I have a big squeeze bottle for pool water and I rinse the vials with left over pool water before putting them away. We have city sewer, but like Duraleigh said, the amount of chemicals going into the system from my testing is miniscule.

I'll only add that is a good idea to rinse your test wares with RO/Drinking, or distilled water. Your glassware will stay nice and clean this way. It's an old habit from many years of doing Lab work/chemical testing. Same idea as a spot free car rinse, but it does eliminate possible interferences with buildup.

I do my testing sitting at the table on our deck in the late evening. Usually relaxing with an adult beverage. This is my time to unwind ! When I'm done everything goes down the drain and rinsed out. I keep my test kit in the basement as it's dark and cool down there.
Have to be honest. I don't test everyday because I know my pools habits, but when I do that's how I do it.

Test poolside. Fill clear ketchup squeeze bottle with pool water and use for tests and rinsing. Dump test waste into empty bleach bottle with funnel. Bring to county waste disposal site once or twice a year.

I test pool side too. Dump used tube water on the ground. Rinse with pool water between testing and then with tap water when I go back inside (I keep the test kit inside). I use a container given to me by the pool store to get the sample and a 10cc oral syringe to move the water from the sample container to the test tube. A 20cc would probably do a better job if I had one.

The outside light makes doing the CYA test easier. The only con to being outside is that I sometimes can't see my tablet screen. I track everything in a spreadsheet (with a web data entry interface) on a computer tablet.

Last edited:
In the walkout basement kitchenette. Scooby Doo plastic cup upside down into the pool for water from a foot down. Chems down the drain to our septic system. CYA tested outside at waist level with back facing to bright sun!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.