Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where do you test your water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where do you test your water?

This is the type of question most people might not think about, but I'm asking because my wife asked me. Where do you do you water testing? Since you need to rinse out the vials before and after each test, you need somewhere to pour that water. Do you do it at the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, utility sink, or somewhere else? Do you just pour the water down the drain, or is there a potential environmental concern?

thanks,
    crashd0g
    30x13 irregular shape with a 6' dia spa - ~12K gallons. 3' - 5' deep, gunnite construction, built in 2006. AquaCal Heatwave H120 Pool Heat Pump. Pool Pilot Digital SWG (DIG-220). Pentair Compool Lx100. Pentair Whisperflo Pump 2.5 HP 230V 011775. Century Electric B855 2-Horsepower motor. Pentair CC150 cartridge filter. Single skimmer, bottom cleanouts.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Where do you test your water?

My vials get rinsed in pool water. After each test I empty the vial on the ground (not in the pool) then rinse the vial in pool water. So all my testing is done poolside.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I do my testing at the patio table. I use a plastic cup to get my sample, and I have enough vials and stirbars that I don't need to do any dishes until all the tests are done. There are two vials with the TF100, so FC and TA are easy. The CH vial is the one that came with the speedstire. The mixing bottle for the CYA test will take a stirbar and fits on the speedstir, too.

The old solution gets dumped on a patch of gravel where I hope it kills weeds. Then I rinse with the leftover sample water in the cup.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I test poolside. Toss the used water in the grass and rise with pool water.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

In the kitchen works well for me. I get a pool water sample with a Styrofoam cup from the pool and take it inside.

I rinse if required at the kitchen sink and collect all the "used" solutions into a single plastic bowl. That bowl then gets tossed in the yard and rinsed in the sink.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I do daily testing pool side, quick and simple. But weekly testing, more of a chemistry project, is in the kitchen.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Pool side daily, if the weather allows. The weekly/periodic testing where I do TA, FAS-DPD FC/CC or other necessary testing I do inside at our breakfast nook near the kitchen sink. Outdoor testing, the solutions get dumped in the rocks by the pool, hopefully killing weeds like Richard and rinsed with pool water. Inside, vials get dumped in the sink and rinsed with tap water.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

I may be a fool, but I test and dump into my septic. I built a bathroom in the garage close to the pool for easy access so swimmers don't have to go inside in the air-conditioning to pee. I test in the garage bathroom sink and dump down the drain.... Bad me???!!! It IS handy.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a cabinet in the garage over my utility sink. Get sample of pool water in sample bottle, go to garage rinse testing viles with sample water, then test. Dump down the drain rinse testing equipment with tap water and store upside down on paper towels inside cabinet.
    16x32 20,000 gal
    Above Ground Plaster Pool
    Pentair Cartarige Clean & Clear Plus 420
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump
    TF-100 test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I test in the garage bathroom sink and dump down the drain.... Bad me???!!!
    I don't think so at all. The volume of regents used is so minuscule that it is just fine to do what you are doing.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

I do all my testing at the bathroom sink and pour it down the drain when completed. I have a big squeeze bottle for pool water and I rinse the vials with left over pool water before putting them away. We have city sewer, but like Duraleigh said, the amount of chemicals going into the system from my testing is miniscule.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

If it's warm out, I'll test on the back patio. If it's cold I test inside near the kitchen sink.

I pour out the tests in the sink, rinse with tap water, and then rinse with pool water before the next test.
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

13. Back To Top    #13

I'll only add that is a good idea to rinse your test wares with RO/Drinking, or distilled water. Your glassware will stay nice and clean this way. It's an old habit from many years of doing Lab work/chemical testing. Same idea as a spot free car rinse, but it does eliminate possible interferences with buildup.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

14. Back To Top    #14

Where do you test your water?

I do my testing sitting at the table on our deck in the late evening. Usually relaxing with an adult beverage. This is my time to unwind ! When I'm done everything goes down the drain and rinsed out. I keep my test kit in the basement as it's dark and cool down there.
    Have to be honest. I don't test everyday because I know my pools habits, but when I do that's how I do it.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

15. Back To Top    #15

I usually test pool side, rinse with pool water, dump in planters and wipe clean with an old but clean rag.
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

16. Back To Top    #16

I mostly do my testing either in the kitchen or bathroom sink. I do the testing as often as I could. I simply pour the water down the drain.
    We look forward to providing you with the best Adelaide Leak Detection Equipment and Services.

17. Back To Top    #17

Test poolside. Fill clear ketchup squeeze bottle with pool water and use for tests and rinsing. Dump test waste into empty bleach bottle with funnel. Bring to county waste disposal site once or twice a year.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

18. Back To Top    #18

Patio table poolside with a squeeze bottle for rinsing and test samples. Easy and quick.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

19. Back To Top    #19

I test pool side too. Dump used tube water on the ground. Rinse with pool water between testing and then with tap water when I go back inside (I keep the test kit inside). I use a container given to me by the pool store to get the sample and a 10cc oral syringe to move the water from the sample container to the test tube. A 20cc would probably do a better job if I had one.

The outside light makes doing the CYA test easier. The only con to being outside is that I sometimes can't see my tablet screen. I track everything in a spreadsheet (with a web data entry interface) on a computer tablet.
    Last edited by Shirker; 01-15-2015 at 12:05 PM. Reason: adding more info
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

In the walkout basement kitchenette. Scooby Doo plastic cup upside down into the pool for water from a foot down. Chems down the drain to our septic system. CYA tested outside at waist level with back facing to bright sun!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!