How many pumps per intermatic single dial mechanical timer?

Blakespools

In The Industry
Jan 3, 2015
Palm Desert, CA
Hey guys,

On my personal pool I have 3 A.O. Smith 1 1/2hp pumps connected to 220v, and a broken(for the 3rd time) old Compupool setup. I'd like to just go with the old trusty Intermatic mechanical timers for the pump operations. How many pumps i can run per timer safely, is it just 1 per timer? Reason I ask is I have a new customer on my route that has 2 pumps connected to 1 timer and she mentioned an electrician told her that was unsafe, figured I'd ask here for both of us!

Thanks in advance,

Blake

Putting more than one pump on a timer is discouraged. The actual safety issues depend on the rating of the timer (and other electrical components) and the size of the pumps. The Intermatic hardwired timers are generally rated for 3 HP, so they should be safe dealing with two 1 1/2 HP pumps, but would not be with three. The sizing of the other electrical components (such as circuit breaker and wire size) are also likely to be issues when dealing with two 1 1/2 HP pumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.