Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How many pumps per intermatic single dial mechanical timer?

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

How many pumps per intermatic single dial mechanical timer?

Hey guys,

On my personal pool I have 3 A.O. Smith 1 1/2hp pumps connected to 220v, and a broken(for the 3rd time) old Compupool setup. I'd like to just go with the old trusty Intermatic mechanical timers for the pump operations. How many pumps i can run per timer safely, is it just 1 per timer? Reason I ask is I have a new customer on my route that has 2 pumps connected to 1 timer and she mentioned an electrician told her that was unsafe, figured I'd ask here for both of us!

Thanks in advance,

Blake

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How many pumps per intermatic single dial mechanical timer?

Putting more than one pump on a timer is discouraged. The actual safety issues depend on the rating of the timer (and other electrical components) and the size of the pumps. The Intermatic hardwired timers are generally rated for 3 HP, so they should be safe dealing with two 1 1/2 HP pumps, but would not be with three. The sizing of the other electrical components (such as circuit breaker and wire size) are also likely to be issues when dealing with two 1 1/2 HP pumps.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: How many pumps per intermatic single dial mechanical timer?

Thanks Jason, i'll just stick with 1 per pump to be on the safe side and take a closer look at my customers pump ratings and go from there.

Blake