Power outage in Winter backup question

Sseaman

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 6, 2013
Nashville, TN
This is our first winter with a pool and we are keeping open all winter. As the temps got down to single digits last night we had a nice layer of ice form on top except for near the returns and skimmers so far so good. My thoughts then turn to what happens and how long of a power outage would become an issue. The pump is a 2 speed Hayward so I think connecting a generator would not be an easy task without having an electrician wire transfer switch and then having a portable generator that is large enough to power it. I was then thinking of the possibility of dropping in 2 sump pumps powered by smaller generator and running the hose out into the skimmer drains to continue pushing water through the pipes and out the returns. Anyone think that is doable or a waste of time at that point? What about other options?

I'm thinking even not doing any of that a small generator is probably still needed to power the sump pump to lower the level, compressor or blower to clear the lines while draining the pump and cartridge filter.

Pretty much any generator except the little tiny camp ones should be able to run a pool pump. My 1.5hp single speed draws something like 9.6 amps max. I have a smaller than normal big box store size generator that puts out 3850 watts. My pump would be taking just over half of the generators capacity. You'll have to make your own decision regarding wiring. I have enough junk in my garage to wire my pump to my generator in about 20 minutes, but my pool is closed so I won't. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an above ground and last year was the first time I left it up all year. Of course it was also the first year we had a 14 hour power outage and the temperature was 24. I disconnected the plastic hoses and let the pool drain off. I brought the pump in and opened the main valve and removed the drain plug from the filter. an hour after the power went off the hoses were full of slush. The next day when the power came back on I hooked it all back up and filled it back up. Not fun but it worked.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.