Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Power outage in Winter backup question

1. Back To Top    #1

Power outage in Winter backup question

This is our first winter with a pool and we are keeping open all winter. As the temps got down to single digits last night we had a nice layer of ice form on top except for near the returns and skimmers so far so good. My thoughts then turn to what happens and how long of a power outage would become an issue. The pump is a 2 speed Hayward so I think connecting a generator would not be an easy task without having an electrician wire transfer switch and then having a portable generator that is large enough to power it. I was then thinking of the possibility of dropping in 2 sump pumps powered by smaller generator and running the hose out into the skimmer drains to continue pushing water through the pipes and out the returns. Anyone think that is doable or a waste of time at that point? What about other options?

I'm thinking even not doing any of that a small generator is probably still needed to power the sump pump to lower the level, compressor or blower to clear the lines while draining the pump and cartridge filter.
    18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Power outage in Winter backup question

Pretty much any generator except the little tiny camp ones should be able to run a pool pump. My 1.5hp single speed draws something like 9.6 amps max. I have a smaller than normal big box store size generator that puts out 3850 watts. My pump would be taking just over half of the generators capacity. You'll have to make your own decision regarding wiring. I have enough junk in my garage to wire my pump to my generator in about 20 minutes, but my pool is closed so I won't.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I have an above ground and last year was the first time I left it up all year. Of course it was also the first year we had a 14 hour power outage and the temperature was 24. I disconnected the plastic hoses and let the pool drain off. I brought the pump in and opened the main valve and removed the drain plug from the filter. an hour after the power went off the hoses were full of slush. The next day when the power came back on I hooked it all back up and filled it back up. Not fun but it worked.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

For cold snaps that extreme (single digit temps) that last more than one night, your best bet is to winterize the pool, as annoying as that might be.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

This is why I close the pool and drain all above ground pool equipment and put the pump in a safe place. However - I leave my Intermatic timer running all year round - cheap insurance that it will work in the spring.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

After some more thinking and bouncing ideas of others a clear water or trash pump could be a great backup, it wouldnt be hard to plumb in the fittings and hook up in a pinch. Something like the link below, of course there are nicer models and you have to keep fuel in the tank but if the power is out, might be scrambling anyways.
    http://t.harborfreight.com/2-in-clea...9774-9231.html
    18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights