Closed Pool for winter and got algae - is it worth trying to treat before re-opening?

I decided to close the pool this winter - betting that the Raleigh NC area is going to have a colder then normal winter(according to Farmer's Almanac).

After shocking the pool and winterizing the filter and pumps, algae has grown and I've now got a nice green swamp.

I've considered buying a few cases of liquid shock, so I can use the brush to mix in 4-5 gallons each month until we get the pump restarted this spring - hopefully by the end of March.

I'm wondering if it's worth the effort now. I can kill alot of it off, and don't expect the algae will get worse during the cold temperatures, but I won't be able to do any vacuuming to clean it up.

Welcome to the forum.

It will be hard to clean it all the way up if its pretty bad....and bad as it sounds. Personally, I couldn't take it and would have to get it cleaned up, but it will be nearly impossible to get it done with no ciruculation. Others in you area never close and have their pools running now. If it were mine, I would likely get it running and clean, but that may not be agreeable to you. Once the water is below 50F, there will be minimal if any more Algae growth, so I guess that is an upside to look at.

Sounds like an exercise in futility to me.

What you're proposing is an incomplete SLAM. Something like the first two days of a week-long project. You might beat it back a little, and the water may turn greyish instead of greenish, but the algae will regrow unless you kill it completely. Any bleach you add now will have died in vain. Either kill it all and keep it dead, or let it grow.

I'd say about the best you can do is drag the bottom with a leaf rake to remove any leaves before they have a chance to get all gooey. That will save you a day or two when it is time to open and SLAM.

Thanks for the info.

I don't mind putting the effort in to get things back up and running. Cases of 12.5% chlorine is around $20 at the local pool supply, but I've seen it cheaper at BJ's.

Right now there's a gizmo in the skimmer, and the pad is winterized. I got real busy this fall and ended up dropping $150 to have a local company close the pool(arggh). I've maintained the pool - but never have done a closing or opening.

If all goes well I'll do the opening this year, pick up a few cases of PoolTech and get started...

If you don't mind cleaning it, then go the whole way n open the pool, SLAM it, and maintain it. It will be so much easier with the filter n pump running.

I live about 20 miles North of you. I never close my pool finding it easier in our climate to keep it open year round.

If you want to give that a try, it would probably be a good time to do it now......clean it up, maintain it as a pool being used and then you are ready just as soon as it gets warm enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.