PH levels in winter and CSI Index

Jul 10, 2013
Anyone have any thoughts on PH levels in winter time? I have an intellichem on my pool. All of my levels are in range. However, with the water temp in the high 30's, I would need to have my PH somewhere around 8 to be at an ideal level on the CSI index. At 7.5 PH, the intellichem is reporting that my water is corrosive.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Yes, don't focus so much on CSI. Your water is not suddenly more corrosive and all will be well. It's great to be dilligent about your chemistry, but don't over think it and worry yourself.

You can let the PH go up by about 0.2 or 0.3 when it is near freezing. If left alone (i.e. no equipment running) the PH will naturally go up by about that much as the water gets colder.

By the by, I don't recommend keeping the PH as low as 7.5 when using PH automation in an outdoor pool. That will increase your acid usage to no real purpose. 7.7 is a more reasonable target in most situations.

Yes, don't focus so much on CSI. Your water is not suddenly more corrosive and all will be well. It's great to be dilligent about your chemistry, but don't over think it and worry yourself.

Well put Brushpup. +1. I see that sometimes it is easy for me to get caught up focusing on the tree, rather than the forest.

Good to know and have it reinforced that the water doesn't suddenly become more corrosive. W/ my cold water, I also was approaching the "more corrosive" side of my CSI and concerned of the effect it would have on things. I was concerned b/c my plaster is old and I already had a section (approx 1.5 ft in diameter) delaminate. I am doing all I can to prolong the life I have left on my plaster.

As Jason noted, the pH of water will go up as the water temperature drops (and vice versa) which tends to keep the CSI fairly stable. Just don't try and fight that by artificially lowering the pH as the water temperature gets colder. Having the pH be 7.8 instead of 7.5 in the winter is perfectly fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.