Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH levels in winter and CSI Index

1. Back To Top    #1

PH levels in winter and CSI Index

Anyone have any thoughts on PH levels in winter time? I have an intellichem on my pool. All of my levels are in range. However, with the water temp in the high 30's, I would need to have my PH somewhere around 8 to be at an ideal level on the CSI index. At 7.5 PH, the intellichem is reporting that my water is corrosive.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    28000 gallon IG pool, 3.5ft - 8ft deep, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Interior, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Quad DE 100 filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS-SVRS, Whisperflo 3hp (water features), A&A Max in floor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch 8 Automation, Screenlogic II, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair Intellichem with acid injection via stennar pump, 9'x7' spa with Infiniti edge

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH levels in winter and CSI Index

Yes, don't focus so much on CSI. Your water is not suddenly more corrosive and all will be well. It's great to be dilligent about your chemistry, but don't over think it and worry yourself.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

You can let the PH go up by about 0.2 or 0.3 when it is near freezing. If left alone (i.e. no equipment running) the PH will naturally go up by about that much as the water gets colder.

By the by, I don't recommend keeping the PH as low as 7.5 when using PH automation in an outdoor pool. That will increase your acid usage to no real purpose. 7.7 is a more reasonable target in most situations.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
    Yes, don't focus so much on CSI. Your water is not suddenly more corrosive and all will be well. It's great to be dilligent about your chemistry, but don't over think it and worry yourself.
    Well put Brushpup. +1. I see that sometimes it is easy for me to get caught up focusing on the tree, rather than the forest.

Good to know and have it reinforced that the water doesn't suddenly become more corrosive. W/ my cold water, I also was approaching the "more corrosive" side of my CSI and concerned of the effect it would have on things. I was concerned b/c my plaster is old and I already had a section (approx 1.5 ft in diameter) delaminate. I am doing all I can to prolong the life I have left on my plaster.
    19k gal IG plaster, built '70s, probably resurfaced in '80s-'90s; Blue Haven Hayward filter C4520BHMB (Filbur FC-1275 cartridges); Hayward MaxFlo sp2302 VSP 1.5hp; 6 solar panels 288. sq. ft. total (142"x47.5" ea.) on 1 story hm; Pentair Compool LX220 Solar Controller; FlowVis flow meter; Maytronics Dolphin S200; AG 300 gal AquaTerra spa; TF-100 & Speedstir; gone: Pentair Challenger 3/4 HP 1 speed; Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

As Jason noted, the pH of water will go up as the water temperature drops (and vice versa) which tends to keep the CSI fairly stable. Just don't try and fight that by artificially lowering the pH as the water temperature gets colder. Having the pH be 7.8 instead of 7.5 in the winter is perfectly fine.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"