Replace motor or replace pump?

Sep 20, 2012
Greetings,

I have a 1-1/2 hp Hayward Super II pump. It was originally a two speed motor but I had to replace the motor 2 years and 3 months ago (three months out of warranty). I install an Impower motor and have not had any problems until now. The motor has a mind of it's own and apparently Impower is either in bankruptcy or some similar problem. The phone has been disconnected and the one person I reached at what is left of SNTech says they cannot sell or ship anything.

Back to the original issue. I need to replace the motor. No technical problems in doing so. I'm looking at a couple of different variable speed motors. The question is should I replace just the motor or buy a new pump. The pump is about 14 years old but I have not had any issues with it other replacing the impeller a few years ago. I'm sure there have been some improvements in pumps but this pump is still sold. I'm both aware of any age related issues with the existing pump. There is no wear on the impeller. Either was I wil get the new motor technology but was wondering if there were any justifications to warrant replacing the pump. It's about twice the cost to replace the entire pump.

Thanks in advance!

Not unless the housing is cracked, I'd not replace it. Did you replace your shaft seal when you replaced the motor? Is it the actual motor or the electronic controls? Depending on where you live and the cost of power (if it's less than $.30 KWH a 2-speed motor tends to me more economical). Also make sure the impeller is matched to the size of the motor. There should be a casing number on the impeller verify the size to the motor size. You should be able to match it in the owners manual.

The motor is fine, even the drive portion of the controller seems fine. It's the control portion of the module that has failed. The buttons don't work, the led's don't light, it won't change speed manually or remotely. It runs only in high speed or not at all.

I'm looking at the EcoTech EZ motor. At the price that I can purchase it at it doesn't pay to look at a traditional two speed motor. I would rather have the variable speed motor, which are typically permanent magnet motors and totally enclosed, over a cap start/cap run motor which is usually open dripproof. I will probably only set it up for two speeds anyway, but this will get me a new motor and a new timer and get rid of the relays and timer in my current controller. Fewer parts is always better. I probably use my existing timer to run the SWG unless I put a CT on the new motor.

I'm looking at the EcoTech EZ motor. At the price that I can purchase it at it doesn't pay to look at a traditional two speed motor.
I would go with the two speed. Those motors/drives do not have a lot of field time plus VS drives are susceptible to failures and especially power surges so if you go this route make sure you have surge protection on the power lines. Could be the reason the last drive failed.

My Impower motor just died a couple of days ago after nearly 4 years. I tore it down just for the heck of it. It's actually a pretty well built motor.

Is it me or do the motors Hayward is using for their variable speed models (example: SP2602VSP) look an awful lot like these motors, though nearly double the price for the motor themselves?

They look similar but the drive, motor fins and mount are different. Many TEFC motors have fins so that is not really unique. Having said that Hayward doesn't make motors so they get it from some place else.

135843_2_2010824183237.jpg
1385078676_MaxFloVS-hr.jpg

Companies like Hayward and Jandy, contract the manufacturing of motors out so it may very well be a dressed up Impower motor. I could not tell you for sure. But then again most single and dual speed motors look similar in one way or another. There is only so many ways to dress up a black cylinder lol.

That side view is what I was missing, and. after seeing that, I'd say they are different. However, I did run across pumps like the Speck Badu Eco M3 that do use the Impower motor, or at least the units still being sold online are using it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That side view is what I was missing, and. after seeing that, I'd say they are different. However, I did run across pumps like the Speck Badu Eco M3 that do use the Impower motor, or at least the units still being sold online are using it.

Mine just died after 28 months, IMPower was bankrupt as of a month ago apparently.

Mine failed differently - no warning lights but top panel buttons unresponsive, motor doesn't run.

Took it to an electric motor shop who said that the windings test OK, but beyond that they can't tell. Would have to send the panel off to be tested and repaired, 10 days and N dollars......

Will replace this with either a single speed or something similar, and stick this on eBay and also look for another one on eBay and start switching parts around.

Yep, not a happy camper right now, cost me $500+ and so it cost me money rather than the other way around. :eek:(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.