Freezing Temps - Clogged DE Filter

Jan 7, 2015
Dallas TX
The pressure in my pool continues to be high after backwashing the DE filter. This just started yesterday. I pulled out the filter grid assembly yesterday evening and tried to was it off somewhat, but i have not had a chance to soak them to clean thoroughly. The temperature outside is getting down below 20 tonight and will be quite cold for a few days.

Does anyone know if i can remove the filter grid assembly and just let the water circulate in the pool to keep it from freezing?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, you can remove one or more grids, leave them out and reassemble the filter. That will allow water to be circulated without being filtered. Note that if you don't also throughly clean the inside of the filter, you will probably get some DE in the pool. Of course DE in the pool is easy enough to fix when temps return to normal.

The other option would be to do a quick winterization of the plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.