Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to manage pool during freezes

1. Back To Top    #1

How to manage pool during freezes

I live in southeast Texas and we're supposed to have a night or two of below freezing temperatures. Do I turn the pump off overnight? Am I supposed to drain the pool a little? Any tips?
    IG gunite pool size: 12,500 gallons - includes spa with spillover, Polaris vacuum cleaner, Ultrapure Ozonator, inline tab chlorinator that I no longer use
    Filter: Hayward Swimclear Model #4030, 4-Cartridge Filters
    Pump: Century, 2 HP with a Hayward 6060 booster pump
    Date of build: March-April 2014 *NEW* : Test kit: TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to manage pool during freezes

Quote Originally Posted by yardoasis View Post
    I live in southeast Texas and we're supposed to have a night or two of below freezing temperatures. Do I turn the pump off overnight? Am I supposed to drain the pool a little? Any tips?
    Temperatures near and/or around freezing for a few days should not cause any issues for you. If you did want to do anything with the pump, you would turn in ON to circulate the water. My advise.....relax.
    30,000 plaster in-ground pool with spa; 2.5HP single speed Centurion pump; Raypak RP2100 propane heater; Polaris 280 with pump, waterfall with separate pump, Triton II commercial sand filter; TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

The news this morning says the hard freeze warning is for those north of Harris County. Depending on which part of Houston you are in it probably won't be below freezing long enough for ice to form in your pipes, but if you want to play it safe you can run your pump all night. In our area the above ground pipes are the ones at risk, since our frost line is only 6" deep. Your in-ground plumbing will be well insulated by the dirt.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I turn my on for the hours we are supposed to be at 32 or below. Freezing doesn't happen instantly either, think of how long it takes to make an ice cube in your freezer sitting well below 32*.

The danger is an ice plug that is significant enough it can cause a blockage and expand to where it bursts the pipe. I doubt the 3 hours we have below freezing would do that.

However for the $0.40 it will cost me to run my pump, I turn it on.
    Last edited by Jabooh1; 01-08-2015 at 08:00 AM. Reason: proper english
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

5. Back To Top    #5

As has been said, best to circulate pump continuously whenever freezing conditions are present. There's very little risk in your situation for the pool surface to freeze but what you need to be concerned about are the low volume areas that are exposed directly to the outside such as skimmers, above ground lines at the pumping station and the components at the pumping station (pump, filter, valves, etc.).
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Jabooh1 View Post
    The danger is an ice plug that is significant enough it can cause a blockage and expand to where it bursts the pipe. I doubt the 3 hours we have below freezing would do that.
    It won't. Ice plugs generally do not form below about 20F and in most cases will not form until well below 15F. Even at 20F, it takes a 2" pipe 16 hours to freeze with a 15 MPH wind. Here are a few other freeze times:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...eze-Protection

Although somewhat warranted, most people are way too conservative when temperatures dip below freezing. It takes very extreme temperatures and/or very long freeze times before it becomes an issue. Exceptions are for smaller plumbing where shorter freeze times are possible.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    It won't. Ice plugs generally do not form below about 20F and in most cases will not form until well below 15F. Even at 20F, it takes a 2" pipe 16 hours to freeze with a 15 MPH wind. Here are a few other freeze times:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...eze-Protection

Although somewhat warranted, most people are way too conservative when temperatures dip below freezing. It takes very extreme temperatures and/or very long freeze times before it becomes an issue. Exceptions are for smaller plumbing where shorter freeze times are possible.
    Agree, but for $0.40 I'll run the pump.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

8. Back To Top    #8

I see in your signature your pool was built last April. I would think that you have a freeze guard mode that kicks on depending what temp has been programmed. Ours kicks on at 35.
    2009 19k, IG, Quartzscape negative edge w/waterfall, 8' raised spa w/waterfall ,Pentair WF28 2hp, Jandy 1.5hp pump for water fall feature, Polaris 280 cleaner with booster pump,400,000 Jandy LXI heater, Jandy DE 60 filter.