Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hotsprings ACE to Ozonator

1. Back To Top    #1

Hotsprings ACE to Ozonator

After many bad ACE cells over the past 4 years Watkins is providing me with an ozonator for my Grande. This was my first spa so i do not know anything about caring for a non salt spa. My pool is salt and i use the BBB sytem with it with no problems. Any input in how to manage my spa would be great. Thanks
    20x40 IG, 35,900 gallon, Vinyl, Pentair Tagelus Sand Filter, Pentair Master Temp Heater, Pentair SuperFlo Pump, Intellichlor SWG, Eclipse Auto Cover, Magic Stream Deck Jets

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Hotsprings ACE to Ozonator

This thread on another forum gave many examples of people having trouble with their ACE systems. The boron-doped diamond electrodes are very sensitive to calcium carbonate (and calcium phosphate) scaling and they tend to not last as long as they should and they are expensive to replace.

Since your ACE spa used a salt level in the 750-1500 ppm range, you could use a ControlOMatic TechniChlor that uses 2000 ppm salt. At around $220 it's not too expensive to replace and it should last longer than your ACE cells and is not nearly as sensitive to calcium carbonate scaling.

If you want to go with a manual dosing approach, then you can use the Dichlor-then-bleach method described in the Pool School article Using Chlorine in a Spa. An ozonator works well if you use the spa every day or two, but if you only use the spa infrequently such as on weekends, then the ozonator isn't great because ozone reacts with chlorine more than doubling chlorine demand (loss) in between soaks.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"