Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Freezing weather in Georgia coming tonight and pump not running

1. Back To Top    #1

Freezing weather in Georgia coming tonight and pump not running

Hi all,
    Pump went out yesterday and it was set to come on at 40 degrees so I didnt close the pool.
    Its going to 15 degrees tonight so far I drained to below skimmers and drained sand filter. There was a little water
    In the skimmer lines visible so i put a small amount of anti freeze in.
    Should I drain the water below returns? Anything else ?

Thanks Tony
    Estimated 16000 freeform (kidney) gunite with heyward sand filter, 1&1/2 hp heyward 2 speed pump, SWG, Polaris 280 and sundeck. 8 years old.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Freezing weather in Georgia coming tonight and pump not running

Do you have any plugs you put into the returns? My returns are fairly far down in my pool so I don't drain below them when I winterize. What I do is blow them out from the pump side. After a couple of minutes of blowing them out I plug them up (while still blowing them out), and then fill with anti-freeze. This has work for me for 5 years now.

How long will the temp be below freezing? I am fairly sure that it needs to be at below freezing for an extended amount of time for the ground at those depts to freeze and effect the pipes.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply,

I dont have the plugs but i am trying to get some. The weather will be 10 or so degrees below freezing at night till the weekend. It gets a little above freezing duringvthe day.
    Estimated 16000 freeform (kidney) gunite with heyward sand filter, 1&1/2 hp heyward 2 speed pump, SWG, Polaris 280 and sundeck. 8 years old.

4. Back To Top    #4

Others may tell you different, but I don't even bother unless it is going to stay below freezing for two days. It drops below freezing almost every night in the winter here, and I only run the pump for an hour at 4 am. Even when I "winterize" for cold spells, I only pull the plugs out of the pump, heater headers, and set the sand filter to waste. We had a full week of teens, and I had an inch of ice on the pool. Fired everything back up, and the heater showed water temp of 39. It takes a long time for pipes that are underground to freeze. And for the small sections that are above ground, my method gives enough room for things to expand. I don't think you will ever see temps low enough to bother the skimmer where you are.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

5. Back To Top    #5

Make sure your pump body is drained as well as your heater if you have one.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the replies!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi

I'm in North Texas (DFW Area) and have a similar issue. Pool power keeps tripping and pump will not run. I can't get anyone to look at it until Monday.
    Found this thread and took a bit of comfort from smracing's post above. (I was freaking out this morning!)

As I read the comments above looks like I probably only have to be concerned with the stuff that is above ground....
    For me that would be; pull the plugs out of the pump and set the DE filter to waste?
    Hope for best beyond that when I finally get to file it all up....

Any other advice?
    My Pool: 27K gal IG plaster, Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, Polaris 280 Cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

Got to 10 degrees here last night. Checked this morning and an inch of ice on the pool surface. I had drained below the skimmers and put pool anti freeze in about 2 cups per skimmer and it did not freeze. We will see how it is tommorow.