How often should a person shock their pool?

Aug 20, 2008
I recently learned that the pool term "shock" is a verb not a noun. It means to add a lot of bleach to a pool right?? (I'm using the BBB method).

I was wondering if it's recommended to shock a pool weekly, every other week, only after a really heavy rainstorm. When I shock my pool how much bleach should I add?? Am I basically trying to get a really high chlorine reading?

I have a 30' above ground vinyl lined pool. Thank you everyone!

Jeannie

Yes, shock is getting a high level of chlorine, and it is dependent upon your CYA level. There is no set schedule for shocking; after a heavy rainstorm or a high bather level is good. Otherwise, it's what you feel comfortable with. Some only shock once a month or less. Me, I try every couple of weeks, mostly because of the summer winds and rains we get here in the desert get stuff in my pool, as well as the fact I have babies swimming in my pool every so often.

You shock when you need it. That's when your combined chlorine is above 0.5ppm, or like Swimgirl suggests after young swimmers or any other event that introduces contaminants. I rarely shock my pool during the swimming season. I have once this year since I opened the pool, and often go through an entire season without shocking except when I open. The key is to know the condition of the water and do what needs to be done based on the test results.

Hi Jeannie,

I have only needed to shock my pool twice in the past two years. :lol:

You can go to Pool School (link at top of each page in sub-heading & link in my signature) and read the article on "Shocking Your Pool".

Most folks only shock their pool if the need arises, or if you are in doubt (found dead critter in pool :shock: ).

Before/after rains, heavy bather loads, etc., most of us just increase the FC ppm a little to cover the need. Everyone soon learns the personality of their pool!

My pool is open year-round, and in eight years I have NEVER shocked the pool. If the chlorine level is kept in range, the CC level is below .05, and the water clear, there is no reason to shock.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, for full disclosure ... a newer member had asked a question here and gotten a few responses and I then merged all that back into their own thread. Sometime after that, chief likely responded to the question that was no longer here. :D

Well chief responded a LONG time after I had already moved everything else. I almost moved his as well, but decided to leave it and then everyone started responding.

I should just delete all this mess and move chief's as well :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.