Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: MPS, tf-100 kit goes to 9ppm,where the taylor-k1004 measures 3ppm

1. Back To Top    #1

MPS, tf-100 kit goes to 9ppm,where the taylor-k1004 measures 3ppm

Mps does make the water sparkle but my fc level tested by the tf-100 kit goes to 9ppm,where the taylor-k1004 measures 3ppm.
    I'v read that the fas/dpd will register a high cc level in presence of mps. Go figure!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: MPS, tf-100 kit goes to 9ppm,where the taylor-k1004 measures 3ppm

If you are using MPS then you can distinguish between chlorine and MPS by using the Taylor K-2042 kit.

As for sparkle, you should be able to have your pool look great by using chlorine alone if you follow the Chlorine/CYA Chart in the Pool School. That is true for nearly all the pools on this forum and you can see them sparkle in the slide show on the home page (my pool is shown here and here). Some people report that using 50 ppm Borates in the pool gives it more sparkle, but this is most definitely an optional item to add and is most useful at slowing down the rate of pH rise particularly in saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) pools.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for prompt response. Communicated with tf-100, they were unaware of mps and chlorine testing. Also, live chatted
    with oxy-brite-same answer. I'll stick with taylor k1004 and 2 back-up strips. I use the mps as a non- chlorine oxidizer primarily.
    The sparkle is a bonus.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just curious, do you not want to use Chlorine for some reason? Any DPD FC test will have interference with MPS and CC.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem