Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swapping Jets?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Swapping Jets?

We've got a raised in ground gunite spa. Regardless of pump speed with the air blower on it really only bubbles near the walls. It actually spills out quite a bit of water. What would be the best way to get the bubbles shooting all the way to the center?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swapping Jets?

That is usually caused by reduced flow rate. Can you describe your plumbing in detail:

Pump Make/Model/Size

Dedicated or shared spa pump (i.e. do the jets have their own pump or is it shared with the pool)

Distance from pump to spa

Pipe size

Number of jets

Did the spa jets ever work properly?

If there is only one pump that is shared between the pool and spa, have you cleaned the filter recently and what is the current filter pressure?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Smaller jet opening or increasing the pump size to move more water. The flow of water carries the air bubbles. Higher velocity in the water stream should carrier them further. Also aim the jets downwards.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    That is usually caused by reduced flow rate. Can you describe your plumbing in detail:

Pump Make/Model/Size

Dedicated or shared spa pump (i.e. do the jets have their own pump or is it shared with the pool)

Distance from pump to spa

Pipe size

Number of jets

Did the spa jets ever work properly?

If there is only one pump that is shared between the pool and spa, have you cleaned the filter recently and what is the current filter pressure?
    It's a new pool. The pump is a VS 3hp pump. It is shared in pool mode, but it's dedicated one it goes to spa mode. It's about 70 ft from the pump to the spa. Filters are clean. The pool pump generally runs at 1400rpm and shows 5.5psi, and that has been steady. Have not checked when the RPM cranks up. It's worked this way since day one. I believe there are about 8 jets.

5. Back To Top    #5

So do you run the spa at full speed?

Also, is there a blower?

Also, do you know what the pipe size is for the spa?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I've tried it at full speed, and it helps some. Still not what I'm looking for. It does in fact have a blower. 2.5" piping.

7. Back To Top    #7

You are getting a restriction somewhere. What type of filter do you have? Did the PB put it a filter/heater bypass when in spa mode? You might need that but I can't tell until I get a filter pressure at full speed when in spa jet mode.
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    You are getting a restriction somewhere. What type of filter do you have? Did the PB put it a filter/heater bypass when in spa mode? You might need that but I can't tell until I get a filter pressure at full speed when in spa jet mode.
    Ok. Weather is awful now, and it's dark when I get home, but I'll check soon. I don't think the spa bypasses the filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

Our built in spa has two air vents on the top ledge which can be unscrewed to let more air in the system. Being my first pool/spa when we bought the house I did not realize the vents were adjustable until one of the pool plaster guys pointed it out to me. Not sure if this may be your issue.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System