Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Apply epoxy to uneven surface to fix the leak?

1. Back To Top    #1

Apply epoxy to uneven surface to fix the leak?

I recently bought some pond armor epoxy (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pond-Armo...QT-R/203886503), and plan to use it to fix the leak at the skimmer throat.
    The leaking spot is at the joint between the skimmer and the tile.
    The surface looks very rough. Of course, I will try to clean it further, and use sandpaper to polish it.
    I am wondering if I need to apply other materials (like grout or plaster) to make it even before applying epoxy?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Apply epoxy to uneven surface to fix the leak?

It is a little difficult to tell for sure from the picture, but it looks to me like that has been repaired a number of times in the past. An alternative interpretation is that the plaster/gunite in that area is slowly degrading and falling apart. It is also possible that both of those things are happening.

Regardless, it is rare that an epoxy patch will work for long in that kind if situation. Often you need to disassemble things a bit more than is at all convenient and rebuild the connection to get a permanent fix. To get a good connection you need a completely clean and solid surface, nothing crumbling, nothing that is going to come apart out from under your patch. There is lots of loose material there, and if any of it is still there when you fix the connection it will simply fail again, probably sooner rather than later.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    It is a little difficult to tell for sure from the picture, but it looks to me like that has been repaired a number of times in the past. An alternative interpretation is that the plaster/gunite in that area is slowly degrading and falling apart. It is also possible that both of those things are happening.

Regardless, it is rare that an epoxy patch will work for long in that kind if situation. Often you need to disassemble things a bit more than is at all convenient and rebuild the connection to get a permanent fix. To get a good connection you need a completely clean and solid surface, nothing crumbling, nothing that is going to come apart out from under your patch. There is lots of loose material there, and if any of it is still there when you fix the connection it will simply fail again, probably sooner rather than later.
    Thanks JasonLion,

Yes, it was fixed by fiberglass, and started to fail recently.
    I will clean the surface, and remove all loose parts.
    I am wondering if I should apply epoxy or pool grade plaster to fix it after the cleaning.
    Is it serious enough so that I might have to replace the entire skimmer?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I am wondering if I should apply epoxy or pool grade plaster to fix it after the cleaning.
    Epoxy is better than plaster but, as Jason says, I doubt either will fix the issue long term.
    Is it serious enough so that I might have to replace the entire skimmer?
    Absolutely. I would plan on it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks all you guys!