Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do you turn on pool lights every night?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do you turn on pool lights every night?

I currently have my hayward colorlogic turning on nightly, 7 days a week, from 6pm to midnight. Is that ok? Will I "burn" the light with daily use? I am wondering what everyone's light schedule here is.
    12' X 25' in-ground. Hayward EcoStar Pump, Hayward DE 3620 Filter, Hayward Pro-Logic PS4 with Aqua Connect for automation, Hayward ColorLogic Led lights, Silencer Blower, Four Jandy DeckJets, Salt Pool, Neverlube Valves with One Actuator. Built by owner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do you turn on pool lights every night?

I only turn mine on when I am outside to enjoy it. Incondecent lights have a number of hours and "starts" if you will. The filament can only take the inrush current so many times.

LED lights don't care how many times you turn them on, it's more the number of hours that affect them.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

3. Back To Top    #3

LED's claim to last 50,000 hrs.

I have one and it comes on every night. 7-10 in winter and 8-midnight in summer.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

so by that logic dave, they should need replacement in 35 years or so?
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

5. Back To Top    #5

Dumbcluck, your math sounds right. They do claim the lifespan to 50,000 hours though. I doubt I will be around myself for 35 more years, But if I am and my light is still going, I will come to CA (or wherever you happen to be then ) and buy you a drink !!

http://www.inyopools.com/Products/15...FYdaMgodOV0AgQ
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Dave. It is unlikely either of us will still be around but if we are ill take your drink and buy you two!
    Since you have put it in this light ( pun intended) I think I just might turn my led lights on a little more often so I can enjoy them before I go. I guess until now I didn't realize their life expectancy was longer than mine!

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't think I've ever seen a light bulb last its stated life span, good luck on those 50,000 hours. There is a reason the warranty is nowhere near those 50,000 hours.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

Dumbcluck, I like your way of thinking!

I dont know really how long the light will last, but I am expecting to have to replace it every few years at least. Whatever the case my be, mine are gonna be on. Im like you, I wanna enjoy it all I can.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbcluck View Post
    Thanks Dave. It is unlikely either of us will still be around but if we are ill take your drink and buy you two!
    Since you have put it in this light ( pun intended) I think I just might turn my led lights on a little more often so I can enjoy them before I go. I guess until now I didn't realize their life expectancy was longer than mine!
    Divin Dave,

9. Back To Top    #9

Actually, with LEDs, they may well last 50,000 hrs, but they may also start to dim or cast a more pinkish color after 25,000 hours...which is why most don't warrant them for much longer than that.. In either case, the light is quite likely to outlast what its lighting
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

10. Back To Top    #10

I turn mine on almost every night. After having the lights installed almost 4 years I do have one issue with the big pool light where it looks like it lost a bank of LED's. So when it goes to blue it is very dim and not as bright as the spa size led lights. Still looks good and only I notice it
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a 500 watt halogen in my pool, but only turn it on for show when guests are over.

Next time it burns out, I'll be replacing it with an LED.

Might run it every night then.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.