Replacing Pump Motor

Dec 27, 2013
Folsom, CA
Hi,

It sounds like my bearings are shot on my Sta-rite Max-e-Pro 1.5hp pump (P6RA6f-206L). I want to replace the pump motor (C48L2PA105) with 2-speed motor with timer, link:

http://www.inyopools.com/dual-speed-motors-w-digital-timer.aspx

My current pump is UP RATE - 1.5hp single speed, 1.1 SF = 1.65 HPSF
Pump B2982T is a FULL RATE 1hp, 1.65 SF = 1.65 HPSF
Pump B2983T is a FULL RATE1.5hp, 1.47 SF = 2.205 HPSF

I wasn't sure if I should get the 1.5hp or the 1hp. Should I match the new pump to the HP (B2983T) or HPSF (B2982T) rating?
The pump runs the pool filter from 1 skimmer / 1 drain to 3 returns and a small waterfall (when waterfall valve is open). I have solar but it has a pump of it's own downstream from the filter pump.

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks Bobo. I checked out the americanbestpoolsuppy motor, it's made by US Motors. It looks basically the same as the AO Smith (intopools) but with a different timer. Is one manufacturer better than the other?
Also, can I heat the spa on the low speed? Is there a big time difference?

Thanks again.

You get better heat transfer on high speed. With that said, some heater have a pressure switch that can be adjusted to run on low speed. My heat pump will not start operating on low speed, but will continue running on low, until the pump shuts off. You may be able to check the documentation of your pool heater.
I don't think one is better than the other. One thing to consider is power spikes, with the electronics in the timers. I looked at the motors with the built in timers, (most are 230V), my setup is 115V. I ended up going with a simple toggle switch (hi/low) and a basic T101 mechanical timer. My pump runs 90% of the time in low. I don't use my heater often, a bit in the beginning and end of the season. I picked up a 3/4 hp 115V 2-speed pretty cheap.

Oh, don't be cheap and reuse the shaft seal when you change the motor. Use a new one. You can get a viton/ceramic one for a few dollars more (not the buna/phenolic) and not have to worry about it. http://www.yourpoolhq.com/sta-rite-max-e-pro-pump-shaft-seal-ps3868-37400-0028.html

Thanks for the heads up about the shaft seal, I'll get the better one.

Also, I called the guy at American Best Pool Supply (link above) and he said I should get the WhisperFlo 1 THP (1.65 THP) with switch for the replacement. I guess I don't need the timer, when my Aqualink turns off the pump it would shut power to the timer too rendering it useless (I thought maybe it had constant power to the timer).

http://www.americanbestpoolsupply.c...dual-speed-replacement-pump-motor-134178.htm#

Any thoughts on this motor? It matches the power of my current. Should I still go next size up?

Thanks.

Sometimes sellers give you the option to add the switch but you usually have to ask. But if you add one yourself, then you need a SPDT switch rated for at least the same voltage and current as the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.