Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Pump Motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Pump Motor

Hi,

It sounds like my bearings are shot on my Sta-rite Max-e-Pro 1.5hp pump (P6RA6f-206L). I want to replace the pump motor (C48L2PA105) with 2-speed motor with timer, link:

http://www.inyopools.com/dual-speed-...tal-timer.aspx

My current pump is UP RATE - 1.5hp single speed, 1.1 SF = 1.65 HPSF
    Pump B2982T is a FULL RATE 1hp, 1.65 SF = 1.65 HPSF
    Pump B2983T is a FULL RATE1.5hp, 1.47 SF = 2.205 HPSF

I wasn't sure if I should get the 1.5hp or the 1hp. Should I match the new pump to the HP (B2983T) or HPSF (B2982T) rating?
    The pump runs the pool filter from 1 skimmer / 1 drain to 3 returns and a small waterfall (when waterfall valve is open). I have solar but it has a pump of it's own downstream from the filter pump.

Thanks,

Scott
    Inground pool and spa - 16,000 gallons
    PebbleTec, SWG, Solar, Waterfall Sta-rite Max-E-Pro 1.5hp
    Separate pumps for solar and spa, Aqualink RS4 controller
    Cartridge Filter, The Pool Cleaner (suction)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing Pump Motor

Hi Scott,
    Have you seen: http://www.americanbestpoolsupply.co...mer-129177.htm

It's a bit cheaper. Your impeller is the C105-238PB which is the 1.5 hp. I'd go with the B2983T.

Here's the link to the pump manual: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/Max-E-ProOM.pdf
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Bobo. I checked out the americanbestpoolsuppy motor, it's made by US Motors. It looks basically the same as the AO Smith (intopools) but with a different timer. Is one manufacturer better than the other?
    Also, can I heat the spa on the low speed? Is there a big time difference?

Thanks again.

4. Back To Top    #4

You get better heat transfer on high speed. With that said, some heater have a pressure switch that can be adjusted to run on low speed. My heat pump will not start operating on low speed, but will continue running on low, until the pump shuts off. You may be able to check the documentation of your pool heater.
    I don't think one is better than the other. One thing to consider is power spikes, with the electronics in the timers. I looked at the motors with the built in timers, (most are 230V), my setup is 115V. I ended up going with a simple toggle switch (hi/low) and a basic T101 mechanical timer. My pump runs 90% of the time in low. I don't use my heater often, a bit in the beginning and end of the season. I picked up a 3/4 hp 115V 2-speed pretty cheap.

Oh, don't be cheap and reuse the shaft seal when you change the motor. Use a new one. You can get a viton/ceramic one for a few dollars more (not the buna/phenolic) and not have to worry about it. http://www.yourpoolhq.com/sta-rite-m...7400-0028.html
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the heads up about the shaft seal, I'll get the better one.

Also, I called the guy at American Best Pool Supply (link above) and he said I should get the WhisperFlo 1 THP (1.65 THP) with switch for the replacement. I guess I don't need the timer, when my Aqualink turns off the pump it would shut power to the timer too rendering it useless (I thought maybe it had constant power to the timer).

http://www.americanbestpoolsupply.co...or-134178.htm#

Any thoughts on this motor? It matches the power of my current. Should I still go next size up?

Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you are planning to with a two speed, I would go with a B2982(T). It has higher efficiency than a standard two speed motor.

http://www.lockewell.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=2245
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

That's the same pump I was originally looking at but without the timer (which I don't need). That should work. Does this come with a HI/LO switch or do I have to add one? What switch would I need?

8. Back To Top    #8

Sometimes sellers give you the option to add the switch but you usually have to ask. But if you add one yourself, then you need a SPDT switch rated for at least the same voltage and current as the motor.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks. If you know a seller that will add a switch send me the link. I'll also call and check Lockwell and see if they'll do it.