Best Variable Speed Pump replacement for Single Speed Jandy Aqualink System...

jb_sfl

Jan 5, 2015
Wellington, FL
I have a 12,000 gallon in ground salt water pool with attached jacuzzi and three water features, all Jandy. I have two pumps, that I think are about 6 years old. They are PHPM 1.5's. One runs the water features, and the other the filter pump. The one that runs the water features got so loud I disconnected it to take a look, sounded like bearings. Local pool store wanted about $300 for a new motor, I could maybe rebuild with new bearings but this got me into looking at variable speed pumps.

Without me knowing Dynamic Head, Jandy support suggested the VS-FHP1.0.

The pool store suggested that Jandy but was pushing the Hayward EcoStar. Jandy said don't use a hayward pump they are not compatible, I am fine with that logic.

I have also seen Pentairs name around, so they are good as well I am assuming.

Should I go for the VS-FHP1.0 Jandy? I don't know what settings I need to do to make it up to 90% more energy efficient, I see it listing for $706 from Bonaza.

I have had the water features disconnected for about a week so would like to get it up and running, will replace the water feature pump with the existing filter pump, and upgrade the filter pump to the variable speed.

Big purchase wanted to ask on here before I made a move.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The Hayward pump is not compatible with what exactly? If you have no automation systems, then you can use whatever brand VS pump you want.

Have you considered just replacing both pumps with a single pump? Although that might preclude you from running the spa and water features at the same time.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thanks for the reply JB. I actually went and ordered that pump that Jandy suggested Monday night and the pump already just got here today! Found a good seller in Florida.

I have the Aqua Link RS system and a remote control for the pool too, the Hayward won't connect to the system like the Jandy will so I went ahead and got it. Also looking at this pump, it requires no changing of plumbing for me (have not done it yet though). It can be controled by the pump, the remote, or the Auqua Link box through the connection of an RS485 cable. I will let you all know how it goes if you are interested. Everything is controlled by the remote now, lights, waterfall, hot tub blower, etc. so it will be nice to have this pump connect to all my other Jandy stuff too.

For replacing the pumps with one, I have a 4 foot wide waterfall and two pots on either side of the waterfall, so I think I will leave it the way it is, and use the old filter pump for the waterfall, replace the bearings in the one that broke as a back up, and use the new Jandy pump for the filter etc and tune it so I can save some $'s on the electric bill.

OK so I did put the pump in , and I did have to replumb the fittings. The pipe was the same size, but the connector that you screw on to the fitting was not the same size. The pump is quiet, when I installed it I still didn't connect it to the Aqua Link yet, just using the controller that came with it. I am running at 2800RPM vs the full 3450RPM and it is moving about the same amount of water out the jets that the 1.5PHPM pump did.

What I noticed though is, the PSI is way down. It is around 10PSI on the filter when the other pump was around 20psi.
Also, I used to have irregular reading on my salt level. I had replaced the old sensor, shich was pretty brown on the sensors of the Auqua Pure, and I was still getting erroneous readings. I already purchased a new Power Board, and never put it in. When I put this pump in, salt reading is totally steady, and matches exactly to my taylor salt test kit. I think this is pretty amazing. Maybe moving more water at a lower PSI is helping out the sensors.

I almost wish I got the 2HP to run it at lower RPM because it is really quiet down at 1750, just doesn't move enough water.

When I hook it to the auqa pure and control the speed with the aqua link timer (which I could do with the JEPR Controller included with the pump, just know when the pump is one per the aqua link, and program different speeds during that time) I think I will run it at 3450 for an hour in the morning, and 3450 for an hour before it shuts off, to get the leaves out to the skimmer (doesn't want to make the jets push enough under 2800 to get the leaves to the skimmer, I only have 3 jets in the pool) and run it at 1750 the rest of the time.

AND NOW I NOTICED A LEAK IN MY HEAT EXCHANGER! The idiots screwed the L brackets that hold the heater to the concrete pad, righ through the casing and the heat echanger slid over during time, and put a pencil tip sized hole right in the heat exchanger!!! I called the $1800. I tried patching it with the kit with the putty and the fiberglass wrap, still a small drip, I don't think I could wrap the fiberglass tigh enough because I had no room to work with. Also, then the FLO valve kept saying FLO, so I though the new pump with lower PSI wasn't pushing enough to change the sensor. So I fiddled with the valve (uncalibrating it of course) only to notice I had knocked one of the leads off the FLO sensor, ****! Another reason I won't fix this heater.

My next post is what heater I should get, because looking at Jandy's I have seen a lot of horrible feed back.

Thanks for listening!

It is completely normal for the PSI to be lower when running at a lower speed/lower total flow rate.

By the by, noise is a function of flow rate, not RPM, so getting a larger pump and running it at a lower speed to get the same flow rate would result in essentially the same total noise.

It is completely normal for the PSI to be lower when running at a lower speed/lower total flow rate.

By the by, noise is a function of flow rate, not RPM, so getting a larger pump and running it at a lower speed to get the same flow rate would result in essentially the same total noise.

Well it is a fan-cooled (TEFC) permanent magnet brushless DC motor so when I put it on 1750, I can hardly even hear it, 3450 (MAX) sounds like one of those little box fans in the house. So increasing the RPM, makes it louder. Good to know about the larger pump making the same noise due to water flow. Thanks.

So does anyone have any comments about how my Salt Sensor is working perfectly now after switching to the VS pump. I think it may have something to do with lower PSI, since I am running about 7PSI now instead of 20, that is all I can really think of.

Anyway, I am happy that thing is dead on 3200PPM (Jandy wants 3000-3500 ppm) and has stayed their since I put that pump in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.