Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris 280 keeps disconnecting

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris 280 keeps disconnecting

This has happened about 4 times now. Everynow and then I'll see the line just floating in the water. I'll retrieve it with the pole, take a deep breath, and stick my arm down into the frigid water and screw it back in. How hard do I need to be twisting it into the connection?

Kind of frustrating....
    Done! Pool build thread here
    38 x 18 free form, IG gunite with all gunite waterfall/slide/grotto
    18" raised spa, waterfall into pool
    Hayward 3hp Tri Star Pump x 3, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner
    Hayward LED pool lights, Hayward LED accent lights, 400K BTU Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris 280 keeps disconnecting

Sorry I don't know, but I bet someone has run into this. Hopefully they will answer.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Is this the connector at the wall? If it's like mine (also a 280, but everything else about this pool is old and odd, so I'm never sure how standard things are), it's less than a quarter turn, and it's pretty obvious when it's on all the way. It's never come apart there (one of the mid-hose connections did come loose once). If anything, I find ours harder to disconnect than to connect (especially when the main pump is on with the boost off, but even with both pumps off). I wonder if either or both sides of the connector are worn and need to be replaced?
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)

4. Back To Top    #4

Same question....are you talking about it disconnecting from the wall? If so, it is a push and twist connection. You have to push in hard and then turn a quarter turn. As jmastron reported above, mine is so hard to remove (even with both pumps off) that I really need to be in the water to get the hose off. Maybe you think you have it connected firmly but you don't?
    30,000 plaster in-ground pool with spa; 2.5HP single speed Centurion pump; Raypak RP2100 propane heater; Polaris 280 with pump, waterfall with separate pump, Triton II commercial sand filter; TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies so far. Just got back in from connecting it (FYI, water temp...39....

It must be something wrong with the connector. When I slide it in and start to twist, it feels like its guiding its way in, but there never is a solid "click" or a feeling of secure connection. I tried twisting it hard...pushing...pulling...nothing. It just seems to sit in there without much security.

I've got a few things for the PB to come back and fix and i'll make note of this.

Thanks for the help!
    Done! Pool build thread here
    38 x 18 free form, IG gunite with all gunite waterfall/slide/grotto
    18" raised spa, waterfall into pool
    Hayward 3hp Tri Star Pump x 3, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner
    Hayward LED pool lights, Hayward LED accent lights, 400K BTU Heater