Caretaker builder error.... how to rectify ?

Native

Jan 4, 2015
Jensen beach fl
Just completed a pool build. 15x30 rectangle, basically reproduced a pool I built in 1992 at a previous home. Had caretaker in the past pool and loved it.

This builder has been in business a longggg time 40+ yrs.

I screened the builders based on price, size, strength of company and BBB complaints and ratings.

Long story short, they submitted the wrong size pool drawing to caretaker and installed based on the incorrect drawing. The pool is 1 ft wider than the drawing and they placed all the heads based on dimensions from one wall and never measured form the opposite wall, the opposite wall cleaning performance is now ineffective especially between the heads as the heads cannot sweep the dirt to the next head.

I feel I can probably get the system to perform by playing with nozzle sizes and pressures.

I think I am being more than reasonable by requesting the pool builder to upgrade from a 2 hp 2 speed pump to a variable speed pump, providing a chlorine generator and a LED light. I went bare bones On the initial build so I could space out some of the more expensive items by adding them in the future.

The question is, should I demand more by seeking damages to correct the situation or settle on them adding the equipment I requested?

My rationale is I will need to run the pump harder, longer to try to compensate for their error, they should provide a VS pump, the other items as compensation for their screw ups.

They did make a lot of unfulfilled promises on items such as grading, completion dates, deck finish, low speed performance with caretaker, etc.

Thoughts? I think if they resist I will counter with an attorney seeking full cash damages to cut out the floor and make it right or full refund of the caretaker price on the contract.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 208
Hi and welcome to TFP.

I really cant advise you as to what you should request from your PB. Some PB's may be open to compensation, and other not.

What I can tell you is that layouts to be properly spaced over an area, should never ever be dimensioned from a wall or an edge. Layout dimensions are dimensioned from the centerline of the area. Sounds like an unskilled laborer just didnt know how to lay it out properly.

I had a previous issue with an improperly installed pool. In my case, it was a fiberglass pool that was installed out of level - the right side was a good 4 inches lower than the left side. When I brought it to the contractor's attention, he offered to make up for it by pouring some extra decorative concrete pads around the yard and the front drive way. The value of this was probably $4-5k. In the end, I required them to tear out the pool and decking and reinstall it. It was a huge pain for the contractor, but thankfully, they were upstanding and did what I requested without a fight. While these extras may seem nice now, you are going to be left with a pool that may be a thorn in your side for many years. Do you want to risk having to manually clean the pool for an LED and SWG? I wouldn't. It doesn't sound like you are certain you can remedy the problem with pressure or nozzle mods. To me, there is just no reason to accept a non-conforming pool. I assure you the contractor will require strict adherence to the contract as it concerns your responsibilities. You should do the same to him. A non functioning cleaning system will only be a headache for you. You'll have all the responsibility for the ongoing maintenance (replacement jets, gears, etc.) without any benefit. I would require a complete reinstall of the cleaning system. I would also pay a second contractor to monitor and review the work of your PB to ensure that the fixes they make will be structurally sound.

Why not take dimensions of the caretaker system in relation to the pool, and have the manufacture come back and tell you if it will work or not. They might be able to do the calculations to change out the nozzles to make it work. If they say it will never work, then you have that to hold over the contractors head. Demanding extras to compensate for a bad system will never make you happy. If you have to, demand it either fixed or the full price of caretaker system be refunded to you. Then you can buy our own extras. Ripping out a whole gunite pool just seems like a crazy amount of inconvenience.

Why not take dimensions of the caretaker system in relation to the pool, and have the manufacture come back and tell you if it will work or not. They might be able to do the calculations to change out the nozzles to make it work. If they say it will never work, then you have that to hold over the contractors head. Demanding extras to compensate for a bad system will never make you happy. If you have to, demand it either fixed or the full price of caretaker system be refunded to you. Then you can buy our own extras. Ripping out a whole gunite pool just seems like a crazy amount of inconvenience.

This sounds like a good plan

I am waiting for the builder to get some feedback from caretaker. Builder is acquiring nozzles to try to improve performance in the effected areas which are not getting enough head flow.

I suspect I will need to run the pump longer/harder and will demand as part of any solution for them to upgrade the pump from a 2 speed to a VS.

I agree if the performance is not correct I will demand a refund for the caretaker and buy my own stuff. The items I have listed for them as compensation is about equal to what I paid them for the caretaker. I think they want to use list installed pricing and I am at a price point between retail and wholesale. Amazon pricing for the items I requested is about equal to cost to me for caretaker.

I really hate the idea of ripping up the floor of the pool.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.