Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Only one suction line into the pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Only one suction line into the pump?

I only have one suction line into the pump with no valve. Where do the pipes merge?

I did test for suction at the main drain and at the skimmer, both are working.

P1010686.jpg Skimmer downsized.jpg
    7000 gallon IG pebble tech (31X7.5 feet) Built 1998.
    Hayward Star Clear Plus C900 cartridge filter with 1 1/4 HP pump.
    TF-100 with speed stir. Liquid chlorinated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Only one suction line into the pump?

Only you PB knows for sure, and he likely can't be found or won't remember. Not much telling really unless you dig it up. Are you having some sort of trouble that makes you ask? I wouldn't like mine to be that way, but just curious if there is trouble. It is pure speculation on my part, but it looks possible that the capped line could have been plumbed to the suction there at one time, but it's merely a guess.

I would suggest cutting out that union on the suction of the pump at some point, as it is likely to leak and become a suction side problem. I'm not saying it will, but the potential is high for that to be an issue down the line.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm not having any issues currently, after seeing everyone elses equipment I'm jealous of all those fancy three way valves. I don't like how I can't isolate the skimmer or main drain.

I don't know where I would even start trying to figure out who the PB was.

4. Back To Top    #4

One common setup is to plumb the main drain to one hole in the skimmer, and have the other hole in the skimmer go to the pump. Your skimmer has two holes in the bottom, so that seems likely, though it is difficult to tell for sure without a fair bit of work. When you have this setup, there is an adapter for the skimmer you can get that lets you force more water to come from the main drain. That gives you more flexibility in how things work, but doesn't usually make all that much of a difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm dying to know why that line was capped. The pump motor and plumbing were replaced in 2013 according to the current homeowner.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm curious too. If you can talk with them, maybe they can give you some clues on this stuff. Glad you aren't having any trouble.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

That capped line is strange indeed.

It'a right beside the return which begs the question, are all of your returns working?

If your pad is above the water level, which I suppose it probably is since there aren't any valves or check valves, you might be able to dig around the capped pipe a bit, cut the cap off and run a water hose down in it and find out where it goes.... ??
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

The capped line could have been for a pressure or Vacuum cleaner. Do you have any capped fitting in your pool? or jets that don't work?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

Both returns are working in the pool.

I wonder if the PB ran the return lines separately for some reason, then they were tied together at some point.

Was that common practice in 1995?

10. Back To Top    #10

Running a single return line and splitting it near the pool remains fairly common to this day, though it was even more common in 1995.

Running separate lines for each return is getting more common but is still not really a standard industry practice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Only one suction line into the pump?

I have one return line that t's off at the closest two returns then heads to the third one. On the suction side I have one line, but also do not have a bottom drain since my pool is all 4.5' deep. We contemplated putting in a center drain for ease of vacuuming. The PB would have tied it into the other hole in the skimmer.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

12. Back To Top    #12

Is it possible the pool had a water feature that was since removed, such as a waterslide?
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

A water feature makes sense. Unfortunately there is absolutely no space for a slide, or any evidence that any features were removed.

14. Back To Top    #14

If your City or County issued a permit for the pool, it might include the name of the PB.
    Cheers, Peter
    20,000 gal, 52'x17' kidney shaped IG, Pebble Tec, IntelliPro P6E6VS4H-209L pump. Intellichlor IC40 SWG.
    300 sf Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter. Poolvergnuegen 4-wheel suction pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.