Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter Pool maintenance, My hands are freezing!

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Winter Pool maintenance, My hands are freezing!

Hey guys, I just joined the forums but have been using them for a few years to maintain my personal pools. I just started a small pool service business of my own, 30 accounts for now, and have run into an issue I didn't think of. During the winter months here most of my pool temps are 50 degrees as is the air temp in the mornings and my hands/fingers are suffering. Anyone have a recommendation on some sort of water proof and possibly insulated gloves that help in this situation?

Thanks,

Blake

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winter Pool maintenance, My hands are freezing!

Hey Blake, get yourself some Elbow length heavy rubber gloves. Similar to or like these ones.

http://www.bigalspets.com/aquagloves...FcKPMgodEzQAGQ

Ive seen similar ones at harbor freight and a couple hardware stores, I suspect Lowes and HD might have them.
    they work well for me. No issue at all with cold hands. They are pretty thick so they provide some decent insulation.

They are hard to work with though if you need a lot of dexterity with your fingers, like screwing out a light niche screw. Work great for most other tasks though.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm glad this question was posted, and that is a good tip. This site is so useful for these one off type of things - Thanks TFP. -Karen
    New in 2017, will update

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the actual ones I posted a link to. They are awesome! The orange part is made thick so sea urchines, fire coral, and other various nasty Saltwater Creatures in an aquarium don't you harm to a person during maintenance and cleaning. The blue part keep you dry all the way to the shoulder.

No cold hands from the wet leaf net pole or from sticking my hands in the skimmer if I have to, or from backwash hose. They are also great for those yucky things that might be in the skimmer no matter what the weather is.

Great for adding chlorine and MA too, for those people who are sensitive to chemicals splashing.

I wouldn't be without them!

Edit to add... the sleeves will also fit over the arms of a coat, so double good in that respect.
    Last edited by Divin Dave; 01-03-2015 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Added more info.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

You can go to a safety supply store and see what they have. I have some flexible insulated chemical gloves that are great in winter or for grabbing hot boiler samples. Somewhat bulky, but for pool work they would be great. Local safety supply houses would be a great place to find those or similar. Cabelas have some options too. Heavy water proof gloves for duck hunting etc.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Thanks for the replies everyone. Ill order some of those elbow length gloves up today. I also decided to order some cheap thinner neoprene divers gloves to try out.

Blake

7. Back To Top    #7

Good luck with your pool business Blake!

Let us know if you need any other suggestions. The collective knowledge on this webiste is simply amazing! It seems no matter what the subject, someone here knows about it!
    Divin Dave,