Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Poolside towel tree?

1. Back To Top    #1

Poolside towel tree?

Hi ya'll,

Has any forum member built a poolside towel tree? http://www.homehardware.ca/en/index/...towel-tree.htm

I think I can build something similar to the link but save on the cost of using cedar wood. Any suggestions are appreciated. Any tips for a sturdy base?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Poolside towel tree?

I am looking forward to responses on this and the choices of wood people may suggest. I had someone recommended I get a towel warmer for the spa area - has anyone done that? - Karen
    New in 2017, will update

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks cool. I would not use copper though. Maybe PVC and an appropriately sized hole. While copper is sturdy it can be easily bent and may discolor towels or clothing as it ages. Personally I would use PVC and a PVC fence post and fill the bottom 4-5 inches of the hollow post with cement which would make it slightly bottom heavy. I would use wood for the legs though. It's a cool idea. I might have to make one in the spring.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

I like it and have some left over cedar from a recent chicken coop build. Will build one this spring. Agree with Glock the copper pipe may not be the best idea. It would look cool but I'm afraid it would age and stain towels and clothing. Maybe a clear coat treatment could be applied to the copper, will have to do some searching online.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Glock View Post
    Looks cool. I would not use copper though. Maybe PVC and an appropriately sized hole. While copper is sturdy it can be easily bent and may discolor towels or clothing as it ages. Personally I would use PVC and a PVC fence post and fill the bottom 4-5 inches of the hollow post with cement which would make it slightly bottom heavy. I would use wood for the legs though. It's a cool idea. I might have to make one in the spring.
    Good info about the copper pipe. I am thinking to use wood with pvc pipe. Will spray painting the pvc pipe cause it to stain clothes also?

6. Back To Top    #6

Painting the PVC pipe would be fine. No problem with staining at all.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

We made one like this. It's a staircase post, some shelf brackets, dowels, pegs, and a round piece of pine, all painted retina-searing blue. Not all that cheap in the end (probably $60 in parts), but attractive, sturdy, and should last a long time. We use tablecloth clips to keep towels and such from blowing off.

IMG_20150105_101612.jpg
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun View Post
    We made one like this. It's a staircase post, some shelf brackets, dowels, pegs, and a round piece of pine, all painted retina-searing blue. Not all that cheap in the end (probably $60 in parts), but attractive, sturdy, and should last a long time. We use tablecloth clips to keep towels and such from blowing off.

IMG_20150105_101612.jpg

Looks cool. Could you please post a closer picture of the base? How did you attach everything together at the base?

9. Back To Top    #9

Going from memory here...I'm pretty sure I put some 4" lag screws (2 of them?) up through the base into the post. Then some smaller screws up into the brackets, and then horizontally through the brackets into the post. I countersunk the screws then patched over them...which makes it look real nice but unfortunately means I can't tell you for sure what I did!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

10. Back To Top    #10

Great, thanks for the info!