Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: East Dallas New Construction Help

1. Back To Top    #1

East Dallas New Construction Help

Hello all. I need some help/advice. We live in east Dallas in a historic district called Swiss Avenue. Since there are alot of Dallas pools here some may be aware of the area. We have a large lot and have been contemplating putting a pool in for some time. However, the estimates we have been getting are killing me. I don't mind paying for quality, but I'm concerned we are getting taken for a ride just because of where we live. So, I thought I would toss out what is being proposed and see if others have any comments or suggests.
    One reason that we are told the estimate is so high is because of the soil in our area. Heavy clay and we are 36 feet to bedrock. So with that introduction, here is what is being proposed:

910 square foot surface area rectangular pool. Depth to 5 feet. Rectangular in shape with spa on corner.
    1/2" rebar ocew and a 4 bar bean
    Gunite Shell to a minimum of 4000 psi
    8 returns in pool, cleaner line, sewer reroute. 3", 2 1/2", 2", and 1 1/2 inch schedule 40 PVC
    Coping budget of $12/foot and waterline tile budget of $5/foot
    4 500W pool lights
    intelliflow primary pump
    pentair filter
    waterlevel control
    easytouch controller
    skimmer
    jandy valves
    pebbletech
    intellichlor generator
    Heat Pump
    SPA
    40 square ft, 3foot depth
    1 100W light
    400,000BTU gas heater, 2hp blower, shared pump with pool
    2250 square feet of broom finish color concrete deck 4" slab on grade

Total quote price is $186,000.

We've got two quotes and the 2nd comes in within 10k of this price. Thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: East Dallas New Construction Help

Wow

That's a good sized pool and deck, but wow. Just a pool and spa? No LED lights? They make mention of the soil but where in the costs does that come into play? Piers? Soil injection?

We had our done for less than that with a lot of retaining walls, rock work, and a large waterfall/slide/grotto.
    Done! Pool build thread here
    38 x 18 free form, IG gunite with all gunite waterfall/slide/grotto
    18" raised spa, waterfall into pool
    Hayward 3hp Tri Star Pump x 3, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner
    Hayward LED pool lights, Hayward LED accent lights, 400K BTU Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

They are talking about a possible need to put piers in, but its not part of the quote. The price is for what I listed above. I pulled it from their quote verbatim.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd really love some good recommendations for builders, but there seems to be a lack of recommendations (or even mentions) of pool builders by name here. Is there a rule I am missing?

5. Back To Top    #5

That's strange. So they said its that high because of the soil, but their bid doesn't include anything that would help with the poor soil conditions? So it's safe to say you can add another 10-15k for piers on top of that? Sheesh.

I don't know. That does seem awfully pricey for just a pool and spa. Make sure you really look around. I had a bid from a builder in Rockwall (Custom Outdoor Trends) for a freeform pool with a slide/waterfall it was around $85k (albeit smaller than yours), but that also included a small arbor. I've seen this guys pools before and he does good work and a really nice guy.

Definitely don't give up and continue to get bids I would say.
    Done! Pool build thread here
    38 x 18 free form, IG gunite with all gunite waterfall/slide/grotto
    18" raised spa, waterfall into pool
    Hayward 3hp Tri Star Pump x 3, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner
    Hayward LED pool lights, Hayward LED accent lights, 400K BTU Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. I've seen some of his work too. Haven't called them. Will give them a call too.

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow! I have the same clay but I have a sunken above ground. I used to drive past your area for work. I would get a couple more quotes. I have a hard time believing they need piers. Texas has alot of clay and I have several neighbors who have in ground pools with no piers. I would get additional quotes. I would go so far as to have an engineer come out and look at the soil and the quotes if you get more than one telling you piers are needed. 186k is more than i paid for my house. No way I would pay that for a pool.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

It looks high to me. I'm in the northeast where it appears costs tend to be higher to build a quality pool. Our project is very similar in spec and quotes ranged from 120 - 160 with roughly same sq footage of natural stone or pavers instead of concrete for the deck.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

9. Back To Top    #9

Wow! 186K sounds way crazy to me. Even with poor soil, and we have it to where I am too, Ive never seen a pool on flat ground with piers going to bedrock. Now if you are on a steep slope, .... that might be different.

Keep getting quotes...
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

10. Back To Top    #10

Love Swiss Avenue! That seems like a ridiculous price. We have the same good old heavy clay here.

My neighbor built my pool a few years ago and I still like him! They build amazing swimming pools and I will gladly recommend them.

http://www.reberandco.com/
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks!

12. Back To Top    #12

I would not expect concrete to be around an almost 200k pool. I'd keep looking if I were you. Good luck in whatever you decide!!
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

13. Back To Top    #13

That seems crazy expensive. Our pool with spa included was 600 sqft. Decking was 635 sqft. We have a huge waterfall that was included and if I remember correctly was somewhere around 10K of our price. We also had helical piers included because of our poor soil conditions. We also built a shade arbor that is 10x20 and cost somewhere around $5-7K. All in, we were well over $100K less than what you are getting quoted. When you factor out the waterfall and arbor and figure in that our build included piers, something does not add up about your quotes. Who have you gotten bids from?
    22K Gal, Chlorine, IG, Pebble Sheen Plaster, Jandy 60Sq Ft DE Filter, Intelliflo 3HP VS pump with SVRS, Rainbow 320 Chlorine Dispenser
    Other Equip - Jandy PDA PS6, Jandy LRZ400 Heater, Polaris 280 vacuum
    Features - Spa with fountain that empties into pool over waterfall spillway and separate table rock waterfall, Pool gets full sun until later afternoon and then partial sun
    Pool completed and filled 6/28/13

14. Back To Top    #14

Elite Concepts and Distinctive Pools

15. Back To Top    #15

Keep getting prices a 200k pool should have higher end Materials around it then concrete.
    34x48 40,000 gal mt lake concrete wall vinyl lined pool,gli 28 mil blk granite liner w/sure-step, pentair easy touch 8 w/screen logic,pentair fnsp 48 filter,2 pentair intellichlor vs pumps, pentair intellichlor ic60, 3 pentair led intellibrate 5g lights, 4 pentair magic stream Laminars, 12 ton moss rock waterfall

16. Back To Top    #16

We were very pleased with Riverbend Sandler in Plano, if that's a company you are thinking of checking out.
    18,600 gal, IG, Jandy 60 sq ft DE filter, 2HP VS pump
    Stonescapes Tahoe Blue mini pebble

17. Back To Top    #17

What's wrong with the clay? I am sure our Houston clay isn't much different. Does the clay compress or shift?

My pool is smaller 640 sqft, 1000 sqft concrete deck, waterfall, beach entry, salt and ozone and it was less than $45k.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by SKC View Post
    We were very pleased with Riverbend Sandler in Plano, if that's a company you are thinking of checking out.
    Same with us
    22K Gal, Chlorine, IG, Pebble Sheen Plaster, Jandy 60Sq Ft DE Filter, Intelliflo 3HP VS pump with SVRS, Rainbow 320 Chlorine Dispenser
    Other Equip - Jandy PDA PS6, Jandy LRZ400 Heater, Polaris 280 vacuum
    Features - Spa with fountain that empties into pool over waterfall spillway and separate table rock waterfall, Pool gets full sun until later afternoon and then partial sun
    Pool completed and filled 6/28/13

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes, the soils in Dallas are notoriously bad. Lots of movement and shifting and has gotten lots worse in the drought.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Itsjustme0770 View Post
    Yes, the soils in Dallas are notoriously bad. Lots of movement and shifting and has gotten lots worse in the drought.

Give John a call @ Southernwind Pools. If you are wanting a pool that size, you are going to want to ensure it is engineered and built properly. That being said, I would never consider a pool of that size and price without a shotcrete shell.

Check out Southernwind's website. They are a boutique builder - you will be able to see they build a very very different pool then your run of the mill builder in this area.
    28000 gallon IG pool, 3.5ft - 8ft deep, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Interior, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Quad DE 100 filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS-SVRS, Whisperflo 3hp (water features), A&A Max in floor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch 8 Automation, Screenlogic II, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair Intellichem with acid injection via stennar pump, 9'x7' spa with Infiniti edge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast