New Pool Build with Grotto/Slide/Waterfall- Temecula, Ca

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear things are moving along again, though based on what has transpired I would be sure to save every e-mail and text, and take a zillion pictures along the way of every spot worked on from every angle. The only thing I regret not doing was to record the phone conversations I had with PB, though they were few and far between because once the job started he became elusive. Of course, the laws regarding that may be different in CA. Over here as long as just one person is aware (you), you're allowed to record conversations.

Glad to hear things are moving along again, though based on what has transpired I would be sure to save every e-mail and text, and take a zillion pictures along the way of every spot worked on from every angle. The only thing I regret not doing was to record the phone conversations I had with PB, though they were few and far between because once the job started he became elusive. Of course, the laws regarding that may be different in CA. Over here as long as just one person is aware (you), you're allowed to record conversations.

Indeed!

Pool is shot, rock work is happening and a whole fun story of the process with pictures coming tonight as soon as i get them all uploaded! Sorry for the delay guys was out of town last week and its been a process

Alright here we go with pictures for everyone!

But First, the story of shotcrete.. Day of the guys show up at sun up and start prepping everything, finishing the plumbing at the grotto, adding a few pieces of steel they didn't finish day before to the grotto, and setting up their lines to shoot. Everything looks great and were ready to start. Day goes on slowly with 6 truckloads of concrete taking from 9am until 6pm. Guys do pretty solid work but get more complacent throughout the day and shoot shotcrete over spray on my block wall and over to the neighbors yard, they were protecting everything pretty well but moved shields around throughout the day and not back when they went back to touch up areas. In all fairness this happened to me when they did the neighbors pool so needless to say it wasn't a big deal and the guys cleaned it all up days end, the wall is still speckled a bit but landscaping should cover it up plenty. Plumbers showed up mid day to hook up the rest of the equipment now that its finally here! That went off without a hitch and they're supposed to show up next day to repressurize the system and equipment to check for leaks on that side of the system.

So its 6pm and we need one more truckload to finish up so the concrete guys are on their way to get more. 7pm no truck we get the call they got a flat!! Of all things of course this could and would happen, 8pm trucks fixed and on its way. In the mean time the shotcrete/rock guys (same company and workers) clean out their pump with water and shut it down. Truck arrive 815pm, shotcrete pump wont start up! You got to be kidding me right?? some luck. Long story short thats it for the night they need a new starter for the pump and every place that would have it is closed. Were supposed to leave the next morning for the mountains for a family ski trip so we do and the rock guy shoots me pics of the pools completion the next day. almost 70 cubic yards all said and done! Been watering it 3 times a day and family did the same while we were gone

Looks amazing, i was very scared to see how the grotto slide waterfall etc would come together as the shotcrete it looks like a big mound of concrete and you wonder how will this ever look good. So while gone i text the pool guy to be sure the system is re-pressurized and plumbing at the pump equip is good. He assures me it is and we enjoy our trip. Its not, got home the system is unpressurized and i know they weren't there because i had family at the house and they were supposed to paint the above ground plumbing at the equip. Hope that doesn't effect the pipes in the concrete! Seems like it would be best for it to be opposing the curing concrete with static pressure to me... finally got the plumber back out this week and we got a leak at the filter, everything else appears to be holding up good. these are the same plumbers that wanted 800 bucks for poly line to my fire pit that costs 50 cents a foot at the store... so I'm needless to say not surprised the slightest

The rock have been back the last 3 days now (one week later) still working right now and its starting to take shape! Enjoy the pictures! Share your thoughts and words of wisdom too!

There are more pics on the photo bucket from the links below for those interested in a detailed shoot series

Just had to, my wife pointed it out! lol

And my wife is in love with the guys muscular size and strength! Apparently I should do concrete work :)

Waiting for concrete truck to come

The leak is here, was shooting like a gusher when they tried to pressurize the system

artwork in progress

little man directing the guys to work

The rock is coming along nicely! Its sweet seeing it all come to life! And I got two free rocks added at the hot tub tub to help tie the overspill from hitting the coping, really like these guys that do the rock work and shotcrete, nothing but helpful, hard workers and good attitudes. I highly recommend them already if your in the SoCal area, top notch work

http://rockscapesinparadise.com

I'm with your wife.... I could look at those buff guys work all day long! :mrgreen:

Pool is coming along!!!

Why wouldn't you? If it overflows on the first day of your vacation, then no skimming occurs until you return. I see zero harm in having one. We have an overflow route by default with our autocover wall being lower.

Though being in CA, your rainfall may not be as significant, but will certainly occur at the most inopportune time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why wouldn't you? If it overflows on the first day of your vacation, then no skimming occurs until you return. I see zero harm in having one. We have an overflow route by default with our autocover wall being lower.

Though being in CA, your rainfall may not be as significant, but will certainly occur at the most inopportune time.

Will Do thanks guys!

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely worth it. No worries if it's raining and you're away from the house.

Thanks!

On a positive note the city came out monday and passed the pre coping/deck inspection, the quartzite and stacked stone showed up that afternoon and the stone guys were here today starting to do coping! Looks like we will have coping and the deck done by next week! Pics to come soon

With all good news comes some bad apparently, can't a guy catch a break, the rock work came out stunning up to this point, they completed the slide and top of the waterfall/grotto roof while I was at work, some of it looks great and some of the finishing touches were overlooked big time. So I passed it on to the guy with a nice text saying looks great there are a few small things I have questions on can you guys come out so we can go over it. So no response and the day they finished it they said they were supposed to paint this week. The few small things I wanted them to finish to my liking, paying 5 figures i certainly hope one can get that in a thus far 3 day project and they are all ***** about it.

Freaking guys, best work in town but poor attitude from one of the owners, ever hear of the customer who is paying a lot is right?? Literally about 3 things that would have taken them less then 2 hours to finish and the guy wont come out to go over it or return a text or call. The rock guy avoided my texts and calls last week and has the nerve to finally say this week I'm dictating his job when he himself hasn't been on the job site since shotcrete. Not to mention Ive let them have free range on the work this whole time other then a vision of what I want. This should be fun... least I say I'm glad I'm not the superintendent or pb owner cuz i let the guy hear it, call me dictating makes me want to look at every little imperfection and make them work as much as possible, I wont I just want the slide finished right etc.

Unfortunately the one owner is known to have an attitude like this about his work as "they are the best and there work is always perfect", i knew it going into this from multiple people who they have done work for, but their work is the best around... enough said,

stoked on all the rest of the work and progress! Pics tomorrow when I get off work and home in the morning!

Looking forward to pictures!

Too bad there seems to be bad with the good. Just do it right from the start and all would be good..........Just saying!

Kim

Exactly what I told the guy, I'm literally asking him to fix a 2 foot by foot area in a few spots where there slide ties to the rocks so its not unfinished concrete between the two. His excuse their busy and have a lot of work to do... well your getting paid to get to work!

Ok Pictures Now

Some of the finish work on the grotto/slide,waterfall and the steps up to it followed by moisture in the shell in several spots followed by the stone work!

The things looking great other then this giant tombstone in the corner

To me to the one really long strait crack seemed fake, I'm happy with it if it doesn't get touched up though, thoughts?

Son and his friend playing in the shell

Ok now here are the moisture concerns I have, there are several of them, the one near the pressure gague on the grotto suction seems to be from the spa above as the water in the gunite has dropped some and the pressure in the pipe appears to have held for multiple days with less the 1pound change. I couldn't remember where they had it but after watching it for some time its holding for the time being where it was.

Any recommendations??? I'm assuming the pebble plaster will seal those and it will be good to go but where I am praticulary concerned is where the pebble will meet the art rock as is underwater as the moisture is seeping right at the seam of the two materials. Seems like it could keep an opening that would result in a leak. They already hot patched the stuff around the rocks before doing them and its still doing this. I pointed them all out to the PB and he seems minimally concerned. Thoughts??

Rock right of the slide

By the grotto floor

grotto such by the spa

Finished the gas hook up at the heater for he fire pit and bbq! Pumping more then ever now with a new 3/4 poly line

Stone!

Progress from this am until noon! These guys jam this is only day 2. Im at work and the wife asked them about the waterproofing of the wall to prevent moisture and calcium build up on the raised bond beam. They said they use a special mortar that does that, however why them do they use another agent directly on the wall on the pool water line? Should I be worried about that? My neighbor has bad moisture and calcium issues and the work is less then a year old

I think the crack in that big boulder gives it a very authentic look. Rock cracks in nature and it looks completely normal. Cracking does not look normal on smooth troweled concrete.

Your rock tombstone next to the slide is where you etch the "Pool Rules" into.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.