Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt for SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt for SWG?

Hi, what is the best type of salt should I use for a SWG? Home Depot sells water softening salt in 40lb bags but I'm not sure if thats the best or the cheapest. Also how much should I add for a 18000 gallon pool at 0ppm?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt for SWG?

What ppm does your SWG call for?
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

3. Back To Top    #3

Pool Math will help you with the calculation.

You can use softener salt provided it does NOT have additives like Iron remover or resin cleaning on the label. The best buy in this category is Solar salt. It's just as pure as "pool salt" and a lot cheaper. Slightly longer to dissolve as it isn't pulverized, but no matter, it takes only a little while anyway.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi,
    Softener salt is fine for adding to your pool.
    "Solar" salt is popular. I use it. Its should say 99% pure on the bag.

the different salt system manufacturers have different requirements for the salt levels for their equipment. They range anywhere from 3000ppm to 4500ppm of salt in the water. Tell us what type of SWG you have and we can help.

One of the nice things about TFP is that handy little tool called Pool Math. There is a tab at top of page for it.
    If you click on that, and then enter your 18,000 into the volume then enter your salt level of 0 into the appropate place,
    and then your salt level goal, and click the calculate button, it will tell you how much salt to add to the pool to acheive the goal.

For example for 18K pool
    goal of 3000 = 452 lbs
    goal of 3500 = 527 lbs
    goal of 4000 = 603 lbs
    goal of 4500 = 678 lbs
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
    Pool Math will help you with the calculation.

You can use softener salt provided it does NOT have additives like Iron remover or resin cleaning on the label. The best buy in this category is Solar salt. It's just as pure as "pool salt" and a lot cheaper. Slightly longer to dissolved as it isn't pulverized, but no matter, it takes only a little while anyway.
    How about Morton solar salt?

http://www.homedepot.com/s/solar%2520salt?NCNI-5

it says 99.5% pure.

6. Back To Top    #6

The Morton has iron remover I believe. Hence the "reduce iron buildup" on the bag.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

7. Back To Top    #7

Your current pool water has 0ppm of salt? Really? How do you know? I just converted my daughter's pool to a salt system and 'assumed' that I was starting with 0ppm salt, but read here that might not be true. Ordered a salt test kit and the water tested at about 1200ppm before I added any salt. I suggest you test your water first so that you'll know your starting point.

http://tftestkits.net/K-1766-Taylor-Salt-Test-p31.html

I bought my pool salt at Home Depot and it was labeled as "Diamond Crystal, Splash Ready Pool Salt" I suspect it is just like any other salt, but it made me feel better that it was specifically labeled for pool use. I believe it cost between $6 and $7 bucks a bag.

Jim R.

8. Back To Top    #8

Hummm.. the bag says is pellets. I really dont know what that means as to the solubility of it or any other thing.
    It might be ok though. I just don't know.

Ive always used the Solar Naturals crystals. At least ay my local HD, the solar naturals are 1.08 a bag cheaper than Mortons...

Quote Originally Posted by Jarwulf View Post
    How about Morton solar salt?

http://www.homedepot.com/s/solar%2520salt?NCNI-5

it says 99.5% pure.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Jabooh1 View Post
    The Morton has iron remover I believe. Hence the "reduce iron buildup" on the bag.

the blue one not the yellow

10. Back To Top    #10

The blue bags are fine. Crystals are better than pellets, though you can use pellets if you need to for some reason.

The water will never start at 0 ppm of salt, there will always be some salt. With a fresh fill it might be fairly close to zero, but if the pool has been in use for a while the salt level can easily be 1000+.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Oh, remember you may want to make multiple trips with the salt in your vehicle. Also add about 1/2 to 3/4 the amount, measure, then top off. It's easier to add then to try to remove, it you add too much.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

12. Back To Top    #12

Also remember that the bags can bust if you throw them over your 6ft privacy fence because you are too lazy to walk around and unlock it. Guess who did that.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    Also remember that the bags can bust if you throw them over your 6ft privacy fence because you are too lazy to walk around and unlock it. Guess who did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    THAT is so funny! Seems like salt bags are much like feed bags -Karen
    New in 2017, will update

14. Back To Top    #14

Just remember you don't need to buy expensive "POOL SALT". I prefer the Solar Salt Crystals, they look like diamonds when you pour them into the water. At the most they'll take a couple hours to dissolve (depending on water temp, warmer water, faster dissolve.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by RangerBob View Post
    THAT is so funny! Seems like salt bags are much like feed bags -Karen
    You ever used a shop vac on the spilled contents of a feed bag? No way I was letting 40 lbs of salt kill my grass. Also no way I was gonna throw away that much salt. Three the salt, dirt, and grass on the pool. Just had to vacuum a little.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    Oh, remember you may want to make multiple trips with the salt in your vehicle. Also add about 1/2 to 3/4 the amount, measure, then top off. It's easier to add then to try to remove, it you add too much.
    As mentioned here don't add the full amount right away. Add 1/2 to 3/4 like bobdaclown says and also give it a few days and then retest the salt level. If your tested salt level differs from what is shown on your SWG then you can usually do a recalibration on the SWG so they match up assuming your sensor is clean and reporting properly first.
    _____
    18k gal in-ground plaster pool+spa, 2HP Jandy pump, 460 sqft Jandy cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 SWG,
    3/4HP cleaner pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Jandy LX heater, 2HP air blower, FlowVis check valve, iAqualink, TF-100 test kit