New build in North of Dallas about to start, any help is appreciated

Dec 3, 2014
Frisco/Texas
We will be starting our build in a few weeks. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated as this is our first pool.3-D RENDERINGS_001.jpg3-D RENDERINGS_003.jpg

Below is some info:

Freeform pool
Perimeter: 86 ft with 452sq. ft
Dimensions: 32' x 19.5'
Depth: 3.5' to 6.5'
Raised circular spa with 4 jets
Plaster: 100% Quartz, Aruba Sky
Tile: Noble Rhodes Blue
35' Moss rock wall notched into beam
6' foot tanning ledge with steps off of it
Coping: Oklahoma Flagstone
Deck: approx 400' of Pavers (type: TBD)
2 skimmers
5 returns
Ozone Purification system (Del Ozone)
LED light in pool and spa
Cleaner: Shark Vac XL
Hayward Equipment:
425 sq. ft cartridge cleaner (C4030)
Tristar Pump: 2hp, 2 speed

Welcome to TFP. Your PB's software must follow TFP recommendations because the water sure is sparkling! ;)

My only thought and strictly a personal opinion is I would like more deck space on the right and more landscaping. But that's just me. The concept and shape and color choices look great. It looks like you have a sitting bench at about 1:00 on the second picture?

Looks awesome and good luck!

If I might make a suggestion? Ditch the ozone system and go strictly with a chlorine based sanitizing system. Salt water chlorine generators are awesome way to maintain the water.
Alternately, you could have an injection system to administer chlorine on a timer.
Or, lastly, you could dose chlorine manually each day.

Here are a few links for some reading on the subject.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/74477-SWG-vs-Ozone-Vs-Chlorine
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/68066-Ozone-Claims
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/14928-Chlorine-or-Ozone

Others can provide a more detailed answer.... However, my initial advice is:

A camera to document what they're doing, so that in a few years you still remember what was done and how. Good to keep a photo journal of the process for some day when you sell your house, etc.
Document where the lines are so you know in the future where not to dig, plant trees, etc.
Also, the crowd here loves to follow builds with copious pictures!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I might suggest considering adding a second light in the pool and locating them differently. One off of the tanning ledge facing out and the other on the main pool wall facing out (on the section most facing straight back). One light will be on the dim side for the shallow end and with the current placement of the one light, you will be looking at it from the decking/sitting areas and the spa as well. Looking at lights is not the most serene.

If possible you could set up a time lapse camera. There are good cheap apps for idevices (that's what I used) that crest great videos at the end.

While they are digging watch out for steps. One of mine is a little wider than we would have liked but didn't know better.

I might suggest considering adding a second light in the pool and locating them differently. One off of the tanning ledge facing out and the other on the main pool wall facing out (on the section most facing straight back). One light will be on the dim side for the shallow end and with the current placement of the one light, you will be looking at it from the decking/sitting areas and the spa as well. Looking at lights is not the most serene.

+1, you do not want any pool lights shining toward where you will be hanging out looking at the pool. Lights definitely need to face away from house, spa, main deck areas, etc.

I had similar recommendations given to me on the forum about the position of my light but I never changed it, and it turned out to be fine.

I'll second, third and fourth all the recommendations for taking photos along the way. In fact, I recommend starting a written journal or diary of your entire experience. Each day someone comes to do work, write about it in your journal. Each time you have a conversation with PB, write about it in your journal. Try to get as much in writing as possible. If you do most of your conversing with PB over the phone, follow up with e-mails to confirm. Having everything in writing and taking pictures of everything along the way, good or bad, in case you ever have a dispute about something is the best thing you can ever do. The better you are about doing this in the beginning, the less of a headache it will be later on. No matter how nice a PB is, sometimes (more often than not) they have a tendency to become a different person once they've been paid.

I am living proof of this.

Anyways, I wish you the best on your build. That's going to be a really nice backyard!

Positioning your lights to shine away from the house (or predominant sitting area) is almost universally a good idea. I am sure there are some exceptions but none I can think of right now.

Please let me know if you see anything I should point out to the PB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steel is finished, plumbing and equipment installed.

Equip:

From the patio looking into the deep end:

From the shallow end looking at deep end:

top of the deep end:

bottom of the pool:

top of the steel on the East side:

just behind the spa:

overall pic:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.