Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New build in North of Dallas about to start, any help is appreciated

1. Back To Top    #1

New build in North of Dallas about to start, any help is appreciated

We will be starting our build in a few weeks. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated as this is our first pool.3-D RENDERINGS_001.jpg3-D RENDERINGS_003.jpg

Below is some info:

Freeform pool
    Perimeter: 86 ft with 452sq. ft
    Dimensions: 32' x 19.5'
    Depth: 3.5' to 6.5'
    Raised circular spa with 4 jets
    Plaster: 100% Quartz, Aruba Sky
    Tile: Noble Rhodes Blue
    35' Moss rock wall notched into beam
    6' foot tanning ledge with steps off of it
    Coping: Oklahoma Flagstone
    Deck: approx 400' of Pavers (type: TBD)
    2 skimmers
    5 returns
    Ozone Purification system (Del Ozone)
    LED light in pool and spa
    Cleaner: Shark Vac XL
    Hayward Equipment:
    425 sq. ft cartridge cleaner (C4030)
    Tristar Pump: 2hp, 2 speed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New build in North of Dallas about to start, any help is appreciated

Welcome to TFP. Your PB's software must follow TFP recommendations because the water sure is sparkling!

My only thought and strictly a personal opinion is I would like more deck space on the right and more landscaping. But that's just me. The concept and shape and color choices look great. It looks like you have a sitting bench at about 1:00 on the second picture?
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks awesome and good luck!

If I might make a suggestion? Ditch the ozone system and go strictly with a chlorine based sanitizing system. Salt water chlorine generators are awesome way to maintain the water.
    Alternately, you could have an injection system to administer chlorine on a timer.
    Or, lastly, you could dose chlorine manually each day.

Here are a few links for some reading on the subject.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ne-Vs-Chlorine
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...6-Ozone-Claims
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...orine-or-Ozone
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Where will your equipment pad be? Is there anywhere to put it where a significant amount of piping isn't underneath your deck?
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

A 2 hp pump seems a little large for only a 4 jet spa. What kind of jets (gpm) will be used?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by eqbob View Post
    Where will your equipment pad be? Is there anywhere to put it where a significant amount of piping isn't underneath your deck?
    Pad will be on the right side of the house.
    That was the shortest distance in order to be on the side if the house.

7. Back To Top    #7

I had an ozone system installed by Blue Haven and it only lasted a couple of years. I started using just liquid bleach and the pool has never looked better.
    16,400 gallon
    Cartridge Filter
    IG
    Plaster
    Intelli-Flo @ 2000rpm

8. Back To Top    #8

As I look forward to my dig day in just over a week, what are some things I should be looking for during the dig and when they install the steel and electrical after the dig?
    Thanks!

9. Back To Top    #9

Others can provide a more detailed answer.... However, my initial advice is:

A camera to document what they're doing, so that in a few years you still remember what was done and how. Good to keep a photo journal of the process for some day when you sell your house, etc.
    Document where the lines are so you know in the future where not to dig, plant trees, etc.
    Also, the crowd here loves to follow builds with copious pictures!

10. Back To Top    #10

We are hopefully digging next week, weather permitting. Here are some pics of the yard pre-dig and a schematic:

11. Back To Top    #11

Dig is scheduled for Monday! Pics to come

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I might suggest considering adding a second light in the pool and locating them differently. One off of the tanning ledge facing out and the other on the main pool wall facing out (on the section most facing straight back). One light will be on the dim side for the shallow end and with the current placement of the one light, you will be looking at it from the decking/sitting areas and the spa as well. Looking at lights is not the most serene.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

If possible you could set up a time lapse camera. There are good cheap apps for idevices (that's what I used) that crest great videos at the end.

While they are digging watch out for steps. One of mine is a little wider than we would have liked but didn't know better.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    I might suggest considering adding a second light in the pool and locating them differently. One off of the tanning ledge facing out and the other on the main pool wall facing out (on the section most facing straight back). One light will be on the dim side for the shallow end and with the current placement of the one light, you will be looking at it from the decking/sitting areas and the spa as well. Looking at lights is not the most serene.
    +1, you do not want any pool lights shining toward where you will be hanging out looking at the pool. Lights definitely need to face away from house, spa, main deck areas, etc.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

I had similar recommendations given to me on the forum about the position of my light but I never changed it, and it turned out to be fine.

I'll second, third and fourth all the recommendations for taking photos along the way. In fact, I recommend starting a written journal or diary of your entire experience. Each day someone comes to do work, write about it in your journal. Each time you have a conversation with PB, write about it in your journal. Try to get as much in writing as possible. If you do most of your conversing with PB over the phone, follow up with e-mails to confirm. Having everything in writing and taking pictures of everything along the way, good or bad, in case you ever have a dispute about something is the best thing you can ever do. The better you are about doing this in the beginning, the less of a headache it will be later on. No matter how nice a PB is, sometimes (more often than not) they have a tendency to become a different person once they've been paid.

I am living proof of this.

Anyways, I wish you the best on your build. That's going to be a really nice backyard!
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Positioning your lights to shine away from the house (or predominant sitting area) is almost universally a good idea. I am sure there are some exceptions but none I can think of right now.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

Dig day and about half of the steel installed:

Narrow opening:

almost done digging:

shallow end:

front yard damage

steel begins:

shallow end

spa:

18. Back To Top    #18

Wow, that front yard damage is extreme! Hahah!! I would be freaking out about that but they should fix it when they are done. Should. lol Looks good!
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

19. Back To Top    #19

PB said they would level it off when finished. Then, I'll have to find someone to lay some new sod.

20. Back To Top    #20

Please let me know if you see anything I should point out to the PB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steel is finished, plumbing and equipment installed.

Equip:

From the patio looking into the deep end:

From the shallow end looking at deep end:

top of the deep end:

bottom of the pool:

top of the steel on the East side:

just behind the spa:

overall pic:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast