Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick question about freeze protection and my Easytouch 8

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick question about freeze protection and my Easytouch 8

So, for the first time that I could remember, we went under 35 degrees at my house. Seriously, in my part of CA, that is bigger than the invention of In and Out burgers (maybe not that big). So freeze protection kicked on like it was supposed to at 35 degrees and alternated between pool mode and spa mode every 15 minutes until the air temp was back above 35. But, I did find something odd. All three pool lights were on while the freeze protection was active and they wouldn't turn off when I hit the buttons on the remote. When the freeze protection ended, the lights went with it and everything was back to normal operation.

So, are the lights supposed to be on with freeze protection?
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick question about freeze protection and my Easytouch 8

hummm.. I dont think the lights really need to be freeze protected. It sounds as if the freeze protection in your system is wired so that it energizes all of the control panel, hence the lights come on. Nothing really wrong with that I suppose, but it does seem strange that its hooked up that way (if indeed thats the case). Usually its just the pump circuit that is energized.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Check your lights setting to see if it's has "Freeze Protection" activated. It's going to be in the 'SETTINGS' > 'CIRCUIT FUNC.' > 'whatever your light circuit name is'.

First time temps hit below 35 (28) with the new pool here in NorCal this AM and while I'm not really concerned that we'll ever have a hard freeze is was reassuring to know that freeze protection did work as advertised.
    13,000 gal.Peanut shaped IG Plaster (med. gray) w/ 7' raised spa. ALL Pentair: Intelliflow 3hp VS, Cartridge filter, 400,000 btu heater, 2.0hp spa motor, Easy Touch control panel & is4 spa side switch, Intellichlor 40C SWG, Paramount PV3 In Floor cleaning system, spa spillway and two sheer descents. Solar: 10 FAFCO panels 1.5hp booster. Testt kits: K-2006 & K1766 (Chloride/Salt) Fill date August 15, 2114.

4. Back To Top    #4

There is no reason for the lights to come on along with freeze protection, though it is possible, easy even, to mis-program the system so that happens.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys... I checked the "Circuit Functions" for the SPA Light / Pool Lights and Freeze was enabled. I turned it off and everything is good in the world again. If weren't just a complete waste of electricity, I would probably just leave it on to see when the Freeze Protection actually goes on. Otherwise... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir