Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jets not working

1. Back To Top    #1

Jets not working

NEED HELP. I have been trying, and trying, and trying to get my tub to prime, but due to what I believe is an air lock, the dang thing won't prime. I have emptied and re-filled three times. Once directly through the filter, once through filter and forcing water through the jets, and once directly into the tub. I have tried using a plunger to force air along. I have loosened two fitting: one before the heat pack and once at the high point entering the pump. Getting to the fitting at the end of the pump will be problematic. The error msg. I am receiving on the button panel reads "dr," which indicates "poor water flow or air bubbles." Nothing works. What am I missing? FYI - The pump is a Waterway Executive 48....the darn thing just makes a 'buzzing' noise for a few seconds, recycles, makes the noise again, and then shuts down for 15 min, and illustrates the "dr" message.

Quote Originally Posted by Father of 1 View Post
    Thank you SO MUCH. I drained my hot tub refilled and have been trying to get the jets flowing in 40 degree temps for the past 6 hours until I seen your post! You are a life saver. We are leaving for a 10 day vacation in the morning and I was in a panic knowing temps will drop in the 20's at night while we are gone. The plunger did the trick!!! Thanks again!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jets not working

Just a wild-arrested-guess only because it happened to mine, but a new capacitor (not expensive part) fixed mine.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

3. Back To Top    #3

Agree with capacitor. This is becoming a more common issue with A/C compressors as well. The A/C technician this past summer (when mine quit) told me that all manufacturers have outsourced to foreign production and there is no such thing as a "quality" capacitor available any more. Hopefully it's a different story for spa parts...
    30X40' free-form gunite/plaster pool, 4-8' deep with flagstone beach entry, gunite "rock" retaining wall with multiple small waterfalls/planters, grotto/slide/waterfall combo, 18" raised spa with waterfall into pool

4. Back To Top    #4

^suspect it's not...mine was only two years old...the one before that lasted 15 years...sigh
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    Helpful Links:

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman View Post
    Just a wild-arrested-guess only because it happened to mine, but a new capacitor (not expensive part) fixed mine.

Errr. which means I have to pull the pump, which will be a process. If it is the capacitor then why is the pad reading "dr?"

Anyone know what capacitor I will need for a Waterway? errrr

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by geese2014 View Post
    Errr. which means I have to pull the pump, which will be a process. If it is the capacitor then why is the pad reading "dr?"

Anyone know what capacitor I will need for a Waterway? errrr

Pulled the capacitor, ordered a new one, and will inform you all when it is installed. Thanks for the input. Keeping my fingers crossed it works.

7. Back To Top    #7

Maybe if you google your maje and model to get an owners manual you can look up the part somewhere like guileless or spa depot.
    Helpful Links:

8. Back To Top    #8

Found the correct part number, pulled the capacitor, replaced the capacitor with a new one, and the same result. Could this be what I originally believed: air lock???? Would draining the thing again and blowing out the lines with a shop-vac help? At a total loss on what to do or check next.

9. Back To Top    #9

Anyone? Anyone? Would love your input before I take the chainsaw to the thing

10. Back To Top    #10

The pump is a Waterway Executive 48....the darn thing just makes a 'buzzing' noise for a few seconds, recycles, makes the noise again, and then shuts down for 15 min, and illustrates the "dr" message.
    Does the motor ever spin up or is stationary when it makes this noise?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

From the "buzzing" and it shutting down for 15 minutes (overheats, thermal breaker, cools, resets) it sounds like you might have a bearing that's seized up and the motors shaft isn't turning.
    Might be worth digging into the pump to see if anything is jammed in the impeller or if the motor is seized.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!