Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Pool Covers

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Pool Covers

Hi TFP!

So happy you all are here, I have a new question and I know I have experts here to help me.
    By the way I love the pool. It was 6 below zero last night and swimming was a wonderful break from the cold outside!
    Pool School & PoolMath have been a blessing I can't thank you all enough!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Ok, so here is my question... does anyone know about or use Liguid Pool Covers?
    I am looking for a way to cut down on the humidity in the pool room. I found a site on line with Liquid Pool Covers.
    Sounds good and would cut down the time taking off the blanket and get right in.
    But advertisements can be all hype.
    I sure could use some advice, Thanks
    2014 Legacy Above ground/vinyl/Indoor pool 3200 Gal.-Sand filter/1Hp/ Pooline-Pump/Splapool 1Hp-Test kit- hth 3 way test kit and hth 6-way test strips- Taylor 2006 test kit
    TompsonTec Ion Generator-Electric SpaPak Heater & Solar Heat source-Leisure Vac automatic cleaner-Pool is in heated garage with no sunlight.

2. Back To Top    #2

Liquid Pool Covers

Glad to hear your having a great time.
    Me personally I wouldn't add anything to the water that it doesn't need, but that's just my thinking. I guess you could say I'm a purist in that sense. Lol. I'm not sure how great that stuff works anyhow. I would stay with the cover.
    Let's see what others think.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Liquid Pool Covers

Thanks pwrstrk. I am curious to see what is posted on this.
    2014 Legacy Above ground/vinyl/Indoor pool 3200 Gal.-Sand filter/1Hp/ Pooline-Pump/Splapool 1Hp-Test kit- hth 3 way test kit and hth 6-way test strips- Taylor 2006 test kit
    TompsonTec Ion Generator-Electric SpaPak Heater & Solar Heat source-Leisure Vac automatic cleaner-Pool is in heated garage with no sunlight.

4. Back To Top    #4

They work, but not as well as physically solid covers (bubble type or sheet type). Their main problem is that wind will tend to push the material away leaving exposed areas, but I would presume that with an indoor pool there is virtually no wind or air movement. In that case, I'd expect liquid pool covers to work OK. If you search on this site for "liquid solar cover" and you'll find lots of threads on this topic.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you chem geek. Reading all the threads. Wow so glad you turned me on to this.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok I read a lot of the threads on the liquid pool cover.
    Boy you guys have to be getting tired of these questions over and over since when, 2007 or longer! And here I thought it was something new, LOL. I need to get out more!
    Anyway I need to think this over a bit but it looks like if I am going to use one, the Heatsavr would be the one I would use. I am a little concerned about getting that on my skin, so I am going to see if I can find more literature on it. (what it is made of... to convince myself) hmmm Maybe my itty bitty blanket is going to stay.
    Humidity and condensation is my bigger concern right now. Ho hum.. always something...

7. Back To Top    #7

A liquid pool cover can reduce evaporation, but it won't eliminate it. With or without a cover (of either kind) you either need a lot of ventilation, or a large dehumidification system, or the humidity will always be 100%.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

One product is about 86% ethyl alcohol and about 4% isopropyl alcohol. Even without wind, if the skimmers are pulling a good flow, the product will eventually get dissipated. You could remove the weirs to reduce this issue.

9. Back To Top    #9

The volatile alcohol content is just a carrier and not intended to stick around. What remains are long-chained hydrocarbon alcohols such as cetyl alcohol or stearyl alcohol (see this thread for example) that are the actual active ingredient. These do not evaporate.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"