Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Varible speed pump needed for smaller pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Varible speed pump needed for smaller pool.

I'm looking to upgrade the single speed failing pump at my new place to a variable speed pump. The pool is suppose to be around 13,000 gallons. The best bargain I have found seems to be this pump: http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP2300...dp/B00C76UUK0/

The downside is that it doesn't have its own integrated timer. But when powered by an external timer it will run at one speed for a certain amount of time, then switch to a different speed. Seems to be well reviewed, and has a much smaller percentage of one star reviews than the other pumps I've seen on amazon.

Are there any other pumps I should be looking at?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Varible speed pump needed for smaller pool.

The Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo VS is a good choice. Two things to keep in mind, first they are in the process of replacing that model with a slightly different model, which might affect availability. Second, it does not play will with external automation systems (other than on off control), only with external timers. If you plan to add an automation system in the future you might want to look elsewhere.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The newer version of the MaxFlo, SP2302 has a built in timer.

http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/h...-pump/148239p1
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

hmm Ok so it looks like I would have to run it at around 2000 rpm for the solar. I guess that is probably more efficient than running a bigger pump at the same GPM.

5. Back To Top    #5

How did you come up with 2000 RPM? Depending on the head loss in your plumbing, the flow rate could be as low as 30 GPM at that RPM which may not be enough to keep the VRV closed nor prime the panels.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I guess I didn't think about the head loss of the pipes filter. The panels will be about 15ft at the highest point. I could run it faster at the beginning and end of the season for better efficiency I suppose. I will have eight 4x10's for a 13000 gallon pool so I don't think I should have a problem regardless. Though if I have to run it so fast I would really only be saving energy in the winter it seems.