Trying to Rescue Neglected Pool

Much, much closer Nigel! Looking good, and light in the tunnel. It will turn for the better pretty soon now. :goodjob:

What have your most recent FC levels been Nigel? You want to make sure they aren't dipping too low as this will slow things down for you. If you have all the debris removed, or the vast majority of it, this should come around pretty soon with solid, never failing high FC in the pool.

Yes, I can see light at the end of the tunnel. We have some pretty hot weather predicted to be on the way so it would be nice to be in there soon.

FC is consistently around 10 now. A couple of particularly hot and sunny days saw it drop to 9 but I topped up the chlorine and lifted it back up.

Things fell in a bit of a heap over the last week or so in terms of my pool management. I got really busy at work so I couldn't spend as much time monitoring progress; I ran out of some of the reagents in my testing kit and because I'm in Australia it's going to take a week or so to get replacements (there's a lesson there fellow Aussies); and my iPad broke so I couldn't share what progress I was making. Anyway, I now have a beautifully clear pool. The FC is still a little high but I guess that is to be expected. I had a pool shop test done today because of the shortages in my testing kit and taking their results and applying TFP standards everything is pretty close to where I want it to be. The shop did try to sell me a very expensive bottle of phosphate killer which I didn't buy having read a couple of articles on the matter here.

Thank you everybody for your assistance, it is very much appreciated. We still have one month left of summer and probably a few swimming weeks after that too.

Cheers,

Since my iPad died I haven't been able to supply any photos unfortunately. However, the pool is sparkling now thanks to your help.

I tested this afternoon (the first chance I have had as I have been really busy the last two weeks) and the readings are all rather high.

FC 17.5
Ph 7.8
CYA 100
TA 120
CH 100

Not quite sure how to approach this. The SWG has been on for longer than it need be each day even though it is on a very low chlorine generation setting. So I'll shorten that, as for the rest well I've put the data into pool math and I'm a bit confused actually. I can see how to increase levels, just not sure how to reduce them.

I'll work on the photos too. I have some on my iPhone but I can't upload them to Flckr because I need OS8 and I don't have enough disc space to do that and the computer I sync with has died as well.

Your CYA level has jumped up a lot. How much stabilizer have you added since the 30 you were aiming for in the beginning of your SLAM ? I also see you had your water tested by the pool store. Did you make any adjustments based off of their results ? Did you get replacement reagents for your test kit ?
Pool Math will tell you what to do. You put your test results in the now column and then put in the target column what your aiming for. Hit calculate and it will tell you what to do to achieve your goal. The things that could come down are your CYA, a bit high for a SWG and your TA is a bit high for a SWG. Your TA should be in the 60 range. How To Lower TA. Another way to lower the TA is by adding acid to keep your PH in range when it rises to 8.0 and that will also start to lower your TA albeit slowly. CYA gets lowered by water replacement if you choose to do so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With the CYA, I think I must have had a 'mature' moment and put in 2000g instead of 200g. The water had been tested by the pool store but I put the readings into PoolMath.

My replacement reagents have arrived and those last readings were made using my own test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.