Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Left my test kit outside

1. Back To Top    #1

Left my test kit outside

Sigh. I've been so protective of it I can't believe I did it. I was so busy messing with the pool before we left for the grandparents for Christmas, the wife had the kids loaded up in the car and I'm trying to add some CYA via a sock, bring the FC up, pH down...etc etc.

Anyway, I just discovered when we got back that I left the kit out for 4 days (cover shut, thank goodness). But I know it got down close to freezing at least one night.

Do you think I can trust the readings or should I toss it?

Thanks all!
    Done! Pool build thread here
    38 x 18 free form, IG gunite with all gunite waterfall/slide/grotto
    18" raised spa, waterfall into pool
    Hayward 3hp Tri Star Pump x 3, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner
    Hayward LED pool lights, Hayward LED accent lights, 400K BTU Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Left my test kit outside

I'm thinking you should be ok, but let's see what some others think. It wasn't ideal conditions but it was only for a short period.
    I'm curious as what they would suggest so I can keep that info in my back pocket.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Left my test kit outside

Your kit is likely fine. Close to freezing (but not freezing) is normally OK and far, far better than excessive heat.

Thinking about it a bit, I would suggest the following....

1. Visually inspect each element of your kit. If any of the reagents have become discolored, I would toss them and get new.

2. If the reagents look decent, run the tests and see if your results are what you expect. If your pH has been 7.4 all summer and it's deep purple (above 8.2), I would suspect the R-0014 and replace it, etc. etc.

I have been lucky and always remembered to keep mine inside so I have no personal experience to relate to you. I would suggest that you draw your pool water sample and then go inside to test.

That way, you are comfortable and perform all the tests at room temp and get your most accurate results. Besides, you will be close to the 'fridge where the cold ones are.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Duraleigh. I doubt they actually froze solid, but I do think it got very close to freezing if not exactly 32 degrees.

I just tested the pH and FC and they both seem like what they have been the last few weeks. I don't have much history with my pool since we're only a little over a month completed. So for right now I'll continue to trust the results until something looks too far off.

Thanks again for the help!
    Done! Pool build thread here
    38 x 18 free form, IG gunite with all gunite waterfall/slide/grotto
    18" raised spa, waterfall into pool
    Hayward 3hp Tri Star Pump x 3, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner
    Hayward LED pool lights, Hayward LED accent lights, 400K BTU Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I think they will be fine. I have some experience with this and can say with a good amount of certainty you are ok.

As suggested, if something seems out of line with no explantion then you might want to toss it and try new. I'm betting you don't see that.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem