Hello from Montgomery Co., MD

fields_g

Dec 25, 2014
Rockville, MD
Hey TFP,

I'm closing on my first home at the end of January and it comes with a pool. My wife or I have never really been exposed to home pools and I think this site is going to help us get going on the right foot. I love to figure out how things work and to spend my time and efforts maintaining them. I work on my car, build my own servers, etc, so the pool hobby might be right up my alley!

I don't know much about the pool except for some dimensions I got from Google Earth and so pictures of the equipment I took during the home inspection. The current owner has done all the water maintenance himself and I am unsure of his methodology. I'm certainly going to get the TP-100 and check out the water. I've also been told it has been re-plastered recently.

We placed a post-close pool inspection contingency in the contract. We need to have the pool professionally opened and evaluated by a pool company or pool inspector by May 31st. I've seen some members of site from my area (including an admin), so I hope someone could throw me a referral.

Of course, after I move in, I'd be happy to invite anyone over to talk pools and show me the ropes. Just throw me a PM if you are interested.

EDIT: I added photos in Post #6

Last edited:
Hi,
Welcome to TFP. Please feel free to ask any questions you have. We'll be glad to answer them to our best ability.

In the meantime, if you haven't already discovered, the articles in POOL SCHOOL contain heaps of information about owning and maintaining a swimming pool.
Just click the big button at the top right of the page. I is more than worthwhile to start with the ABC's ......

We look forward to seeing pics too!

I've read pretty much all the Pool School info already and will read through again several more times.

As for pictures... Here are a couple from my flickr page. They were part of the house listing. We like how the pool is situated on the side of the house. We have a 2 month old and can put up a fence between the pool and the rest of the backyard (and I don't mean that wire fence pulled to the side in the 2nd picture).

Looks like I'll be cleaning the decking as I'm getting the pool ready. Would a pressure washer be a good option for that surface?

PRETTY! I can see how that is going to work out great with having a little one.

Thanks for sharing the pics. That water looks great. You say he has been taking care of it on his own. I wonder if he was a member here?

It will be interesting to see what your first test shows.

Power washer all the way! A blower for the stuff in the pretty rocks beside the pool. It will be a learning curve for you to figure out how to blow the stuff out of the rocks AND not get it into the pool!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where in Rockville? I grew up in Twinbrook!

Pool looks great. I would get a better winter cover at some point, especially with a toddler. Loop lock or some other such safety cover.

All in all, you are off to a potentially great start.

I currently walk to the Twinbrook metro station for my commute to DC every day! This house is east of Rockville close to Norbeck road.

I completely agree that it needs to be covered differently. I'll have to look into my options. I've seen some pretty nice covers with anchors in the decking. Any idea how difficult these are these to add? Do the threads get dirty or are there some sort of summer plugs to keep them clean? To say the least, it would greatly improve the off-season aesthetics.

Here's a picture of a typical pop up anchor used for a winter cover. When it's not in use it just screws back down.
ca19eea829a0b4463201c929f21c316c.jpg

Yes, east of Rockville Norbeck Rd. When I was growing up that is where we said the richeople lived. Flower Valley and Manor Country Club. Small world. Graduated from Rockville HS - good memories of growing up in that area.

I currently walk to the Twinbrook metro station for my commute to DC every day! This house is east of Rockville close to Norbeck road.

I completely agree that it needs to be covered differently. I'll have to look into my options. I've seen some pretty nice covers with anchors in the decking. Any idea how difficult these are these to add? Do the threads get dirty or are there some sort of summer plugs to keep them clean? To say the least, it would greatly improve the off-season aesthetics.

It's been a couple of months, and I'm now in the house. The pool still looked like post #9, until the snow came. It's very white and icy, but starting to melt. I still need to get the pool inspected by the 31st of May. If anyone has a referral for someone in the Montgomery County, MD area, please let me know!

Also, I'm about to purchase the TF-100 kit. Any suggestions for the additional options? I will get the speed stir. I'm sure you should use the reagents in a certain timeline, so I don't want to overpurchase. Since this is my first year, I am not going to consider converting to saltwater, perhaps next year though. Borates don't sound like a bad idea though.

Garrett