Why so few Pool Calculator/Monitor Apps?

JayBauman

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 5, 2014
Katy, TX
Now that my pool is complete (see thread here), I'm quite excited to use the tools, tricks, and knowledge gleaned from this forum to keep my water perfectly sparkly with minimum expense once my pool builder finally hands over care & maintenance activities to me.

Speaking of my PB...he told me that before Hayward (or any other manufacturer, for that matter) will pay out any warranty claims, they first tend to blame everything on water chemistry. He told me to take my water to Lesley's every month for a water test, since they keep all their records. A Lesley's pool history printout is the quickest way to getting the OEMs to quickly repair/replace what isn't working.

I wouldn't trust Lesley's to measure my toilet water, let alone give me recommendations on how to take care of my new backyard baby. Therefore, I am looking for some iPhone/iPad app they will let me track my numbers and recall them, if required, to help expedite any future warranty claims. I know I could use a spreadsheet (which is how I tracked chem details on my previous pool), but I was hoping that some iGeek had already solved the issue for me.

I did find 2 apps that seemed to meet my needs, but I ultimately went The Pool Monitor by J.Ollman from the Apple App Store. I particularly like that I can define my own GOAL and RANGE settings for the various parameters, and all data are allegedly stored on a cloud server. I bought it and played with it for a bit, and (after struggling to get my personalized settings saved) it seems to work as advertised. I have installed on both my iPhone and iPad, and my entered data appear on each!

I'm going to use this for awhile and see if it's any good. Does anybody have any experience with this app? Are there other apps that do same/similar things? I'm really surprised that there are so few options for this.

I would first call or email the equipment company to see if they would accept the app to back up your warranty. Best to have it in writing to be on the safe side.

WE know YOUR testing will be spot on but...........I would hate for something to be questioned if you have to make a claim.

Kim

Thanks, Kim. I already talked to my PB (who also happens to be my service & repair company), and I should be good. The point is to have some record--Lesley's is most convenient and trustworthy (??), but any type of not-obviously-forged numbers will apparently do.

As part of that same conversation, I asked him if I needed to fill out warranty paperwork with Hayward. He said no. They will always check with equipment installer on any warranty claim anyway, so they just keep all the paperwork themselves. While this is somewhat scary to me, my last PB did the same thing and all the warranty claims seemed to work out ok.

Jay will KNOW from HIS test that hes water is balance BUT what if Leslie's test says it is not? The problem is not the pool water. It is the test and/or tester.

I took my pool water that I had just tested myself and KNEW was balanced to 3 different pool places. All big names (p.p and L) Two were the same name just on different sides of town. I got three VERY different results! The cost to fix my pool ranged from $50 to close to $200! I did it to see for myself just how wrong they could get it.

ALWAYS trust YOUR tests if you are using a good test kit!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.