Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why so few Pool Calculator/Monitor Apps?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why so few Pool Calculator/Monitor Apps?

Now that my pool is complete (see thread here), I'm quite excited to use the tools, tricks, and knowledge gleaned from this forum to keep my water perfectly sparkly with minimum expense once my pool builder finally hands over care & maintenance activities to me.

Speaking of my PB...he told me that before Hayward (or any other manufacturer, for that matter) will pay out any warranty claims, they first tend to blame everything on water chemistry. He told me to take my water to Lesley's every month for a water test, since they keep all their records. A Lesley's pool history printout is the quickest way to getting the OEMs to quickly repair/replace what isn't working.

I wouldn't trust Lesley's to measure my toilet water, let alone give me recommendations on how to take care of my new backyard baby. Therefore, I am looking for some iPhone/iPad app they will let me track my numbers and recall them, if required, to help expedite any future warranty claims. I know I could use a spreadsheet (which is how I tracked chem details on my previous pool), but I was hoping that some iGeek had already solved the issue for me.

I did find 2 apps that seemed to meet my needs, but I ultimately went The Pool Monitor by J.Ollman from the Apple App Store. I particularly like that I can define my own GOAL and RANGE settings for the various parameters, and all data are allegedly stored on a cloud server. I bought it and played with it for a bit, and (after struggling to get my personalized settings saved) it seems to work as advertised. I have installed on both my iPhone and iPad, and my entered data appear on each!

I'm going to use this for awhile and see if it's any good. Does anybody have any experience with this app? Are there other apps that do same/similar things? I'm really surprised that there are so few options for this.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why so few Pool Calculator/Monitor Apps?

I would first call or email the equipment company to see if they would accept the app to back up your warranty. Best to have it in writing to be on the safe side.

WE know YOUR testing will be spot on but...........I would hate for something to be questioned if you have to make a claim.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Kim. I already talked to my PB (who also happens to be my service & repair company), and I should be good. The point is to have some record--Lesley's is most convenient and trustworthy (??), but any type of not-obviously-forged numbers will apparently do.

As part of that same conversation, I asked him if I needed to fill out warranty paperwork with Hayward. He said no. They will always check with equipment installer on any warranty claim anyway, so they just keep all the paperwork themselves. While this is somewhat scary to me, my last PB did the same thing and all the warranty claims seemed to work out ok.
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8

4. Back To Top    #4

With YOUR PB I think it will work out okay. BUT some other others????? NO WAY! What happens if the PB goes out of business? Or...............

Kim who does have trust issues LOL
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Why don't you try taking your completely balanced water sample to Leslie's once a month?

6. Back To Top    #6

Jay will KNOW from HIS test that hes water is balance BUT what if Leslie's test says it is not? The problem is not the pool water. It is the test and/or tester.

I took my pool water that I had just tested myself and KNEW was balanced to 3 different pool places. All big names (p.p and L) Two were the same name just on different sides of town. I got three VERY different results! The cost to fix my pool ranged from $50 to close to $200! I did it to see for myself just how wrong they could get it.

ALWAYS trust YOUR tests if you are using a good test kit!

Kim

7. Back To Top    #7

I would be surprised if any PB would be willing to provide anything in writing about that. I imagine nothing short of a monthly invoice from a pool company would satisfy a PB or warranty company when they start pointing fingers at your water chemistry.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Pool Pal is the best one I have seen. I have it on all my android devices. Don't know if it is available for Apple. Might be a good excuse to get rid of the apple junk.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

9. Back To Top    #9

I use Pool Pal as well...works great.
    Cornelius 15 Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir
    Hayward 2 Speed Pump Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover S2-50, Maytronics Solara Heating System

10. Back To Top    #10

Pool Pal here as well.
    Done! Pool build thread here
    38 x 18 free form, IG gunite with all gunite waterfall/slide/grotto
    18" raised spa, waterfall into pool
    Hayward 3hp Tri Star Pump x 3, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner
    Hayward LED pool lights, Hayward LED accent lights, 400K BTU Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JayBauman View Post

I wouldn't trust Lesley's to measure my toilet water
    Quote of the year right there!
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Twolabs View Post
    Pool Pal here as well.
    It seems as if Pool Pal is only for Android, which doesn't work very well for us iSheep.

13. Back To Top    #13

I put pool math on the home screen of my iSheep if I need to use it.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.