Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where do I drain pool water?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Clermont, Florida

Where do I drain pool water?

Is pool water safe/legal to pour into my yard?

If not... Is a residential plumbing system and city sewer up to the task of accepting the large volume of water a pool pump produces?

7000 gallon IG pebble tech (31X7.5 feet) Built 1998.
    Hayward Star Clear Plus C900 cartridge filter with 1 1/4 HP pump.
    TF-100 with speed stir. Liquid chlorinated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Where do I drain pool water?

Safe, sure. Legal, that varies from place to place.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Carlsbad, NM

I backflush my filter to my grass with no ill effects. I do not shock my pool though.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Central Minnesota

Local codes vary quite a bit based on where you live. Most small cities will say in your yard is fine, just avoid flooding anyone else's property or draining directly into a street or surface water sewer. Other cities mandate that it be dumped into the municipal sewer system. I'm sure there's even some city in California that requires you have it pumped onto a truck and disposed of as hazardous waste at your cost, plus a municipal fee of $1000 so look into your local codes concerning pool operation and water.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5
    League City, TX

Just look up the municipal codes and laws for your town/city.

Mine says anything goes as far as draining, just not down the storm drains. I usually just drain to sewer, I have a hose that reaches a cleanout on the back of my house.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter