Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another pump leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Cape Coral, FL

Another pump leak

Just curious if anyone is familiar with this pump leak and if it can be repaired (easily) or do I need a new pump. There is no noise or other problem with the pump except that it leaks. I'm not sure but I imagine this is the original pump so it is probably over 10 years old.

Since I posted the picture above I did take the pump apart and this is what it looked like inside:

Then I cleaned it up as much as possible and put it back together but it is still leaking. The seals on the two halves of the pump look okay but I'm no expert so I don't know where to go from here.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Longview, Texas

Re: Another pump leak

Its most likely just a seal thats seen its last day. Of course until you disassemble it, it's impossible to be 100% certain.
    Its not terribly difficult to disassemble the pump and replace the seal, but will take a few hours to do it. There are youtube videos on doing things like this.

Google the parts list for your specific pump and you can find the parts to make the fix. (get the rebuild kit and not just the seal).

Of course, given that the thing is 10 years old though, it might be worth considering replacing it with a more energy efficient 2 speed pump.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!