Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: LED Upgrade

1. Back To Top    #1

LED Upgrade

I have a pretty old (30+ years) Hayward 12 volt 300 watt sealed beam fixture that is getting harder and harder to maintain - because that's whats happened to the cable - it's like the coil spring out of a car. Has anyone successfully upgraded one of these to an LED type - Hayward or other mfg - without changing the niche? I would rather avoid busting up the concrete decking which the latter would involve. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: LED Upgrade

Are you saying the wire is bad or the bulb? You could likely easily install a LED bulb into the existing fixture. But if you think the wire is bad for some reason, I am not sure what new fixture would work with the existing niche.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Are you saying the wire is bad or the bulb? You could likely easily install a LED bulb into the existing fixture. But if you think the wire is bad for some reason, I am not sure what new fixture would work with the existing niche.
    The umbilical is just getting old and stiff making re-lamping more and more difficult. I'm sure at some point these sealed beam lamps will become unavailable as well so I'm just looking at options. I'd like to swap out the fixture for one of the new Hayward or Pentiair LED ones that come complete with cable and fixture. And if it could be done without replacing niche that would definitely be a plus. Both mfgs say they might fit but cannot guarantee which is why I'm soliciting any direct experience.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi jff6791,
    you should be able to replace your old light and fixture with a LED one and not have to replace the niche. I think the biggest challenge in doing this is securing the new light fixture into the niche. I hazard to guess that the new light tab with screw may not match up exactly with the old niche.

If this is the case, a pool light wedge will do the trick. Here is a link to what one is.
    http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-569...pa-lights.aspx
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Hi jff6791,
    you should be able to replace your old light and fixture with a LED one and not have to replace the niche. I think the biggest challenge in doing this is securing the new light fixture into the niche. I hazard to guess that the new light tab with screw may not match up exactly with the old niche.

If this is the case, a pool light wedge will do the trick. Here is a link to what one is.
    http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-569...pa-lights.aspx
    Great tip -- thanks for the link, Dave.

John

6. Back To Top    #6

We have just refinished our pool (built in 1962) and I wanted to replace the old light with an LED light. Our fixture was an American Pool Company light. The fixture was in great shape being as old as it was, I ordered just a LED light from Amazon for 95.00 and it works great. If you want to change the color you just flip the switch on and off. One word of advice if you have an American Pool Company light, there are 2 different gaskets one is Black and one is White. Get the white one it is the original gasket the black is an aftermarket.

This is the light we bought. If it is against the rules to post links, Mod please remove it.

http://www.amazon.com/Color-Changing...ool+Light+Bulb